Just got my console back from repair...

Hi I didn't know where to post this as the support sub-forums were random and didn't make sense as to where I should.

I use a 4Gig 360s with a 250 gig HDD in out of the 250 Gig 360s... just had to send it off for repair and have now got it back. I just put my hard drive in and launched it up, it says 'join xbox live' and 'go play' ... which is weird.. but yeah I just want to recover my gamertag and put it back as it was before?

Also will all of the data be lost from the built in 4GB HDD before I sent it off? I wasn't told to transfer it or anything and left some data on that, completely forgot until now. I hope it isn't lost!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

'you can play this game only on the console and storage device it was originally installed on''  .. IT IS the console I originally installed it on... do I seriously have to re-install ALL OF MY GAMES??? Including the 3 I downloaded from games on demand? plus battlefield 3 is nearly 20 gig?  Is this true?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

More than likely you have received a different console than you sent in.  You don't have to do a license transfer in this case as one will have already been done for you.  However, you will need to redownload all content.  You won't have to delete it first thought (thankfully).  Simply go to your download history following the instructions posted below and select each item to redownload.  The system will only download the license for each item so you can access it easily again.  

As for the gamertag, if it's not on the hard drive simply go to social then Download and follow the instructions to download your tag.  Be sure not to accidentally create a new tag.

Finally, unfortunately if you left items on the flash drive I'm afraid that it is lost.

Can I transfer a content license from one Xbox 360 console to another?

Yes, you can transfer content licenses from one console to another once every four months.

If your console was recently repaired or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the license transfer option on your console to transfer content licenses. Here’s how:

1. On your console, sign in to Xbox LIVE using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.
  • Go to Settings and select Account.
  • Go to Your Billing Options and select License Transfer.
  • Follow the instructions to transfer the content licenses.

After the licenses are transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licenses. Then the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox LIVE.

For information about how to download previously purchased content, see Buy and redownload content from Xbox LIVE.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for the reply I have done a license transfer but it is still prompting me to reinstall things, for instance my Skyrim disc is scratched so I had to rent it to install it, when I try to play from disc it crashes, but when I press 'x' it says 'delete' instead of 'install' but still gives me the 'can only play this on the original console and hdd etc'

Sorry this didn't help.

support.xbox.com/.../profile-move-delete is how you recover your gamertag.  You will have to do a license transfer, that is pretty easy:  support.xbox.com/.../download-content

Sorry this didn't help.

Go into your storage and delete the skyrim game only (be sure not to delete the saves) then recopy it from the rented disc.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am aware of how to do it, thanks for the reply anyway.

It's a joke that I have to re-rent it and to say it's just due to anti-piracy is pretty rubbish... see this thread ...

forums.xbox.com/.../thread.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Ace!  Glad we could get your console repaired, and sorry to hear that getting back up and running has been a bit of a pain.  The posters above are correct though, you're going to need to re-do the install.  However, if it's the scratched disc that's making that hard, you can actually look into ordering a replacement for it: Xbox 360 Game Replacement 

Sorry this didn't help.