It won't realize that it's plugged in

Hey I just moved into my new apartment. The internet has been set up for 3 weeks, so that's all good and fine. plugged in my TV and Xbox, and then plugged an ethernet cable from the Xbox into the wall and I can't connect to XBL. 

I click Test Connection and it gives me the option of Wired Network or Wireless Network. I click Wired and it says "To use a wired Internet connection, make sure an Ethernet cable is connected to both your console and your router or modem." Then it only gives me the option to press "OK" and it backs me out. 

What can I do to fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

This is also happening to me. But It stop when we had a really bad lightening storm....so I did not know if it fried to Ethernet ports or what was going on....Please keep!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have had an ethernet port fried by a lightning storm, it is pretty common. I suggest purchasing a ethernet surge protector. To answer the original question, you may have a friend ethernet port. However, that is not necessarily the case. Does that same ethernet cable work when plugged into a computer?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.