Issues with Varying Ping

Hello, recently (since around May 18, 2012) I have been having connection issues with my Xbox Live. Each time I join a match of, for example, Modern Warfare 3, I will get around an average gaming ping, 3-4 bars. About halfway through the game, I begin to have complications where my ping will rapidly change from really low, to really high in a matter of seconds. The connection status bar begins to jump from 4 bars to 2 bars to 1 bar, eventually making me have around a 3 second response delay. I have tried everything from opening ports on my router, to trying to wire my connection. I was wondering if anyone can help me with this issue, because it's making me just want to stay away from it. The other odd thing is that I seem to have no trouble on a PC with the connection, but on the Xbox it just shuts down. Additionally, when I restart my modem the issue seems to disappear but then comes back within about 10-20 minutes. My modem is Cisco DPC3000 and my router is D-Link DIR-815, and if it's any consolation, my ISP is Cogeco (Canada).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Have you tried to connect the XBOX 360 wired without the router at all and see if this issue still persists?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

ok, I'll try that; unfortunately I cannot test that now because of multiple persons using internet access, but I will try this at a less important time.

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks, I tested this and it worked, the only thing I'm wondering now, is if there's a way I can have it plugged into my router? if not, would another solution be buy a different one?

Sorry this didn't help.

It's possible that the wireless connection isn't getting a stable/strong enough connection to the XBOX 360's wireless that could be causing the issue. You could try to see if you could switch off the routers firewall to test to see if your able to use the router and not have buffering issues. If your still getting buffering issues going through the router even with the connection being wired then I would assume that there's some sort of problem with the router itself that's causing this. I use a DIR-655 router and don't have any issues with YouTube HD buffering you could try that out if switching the firewall off doesn't solve the issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea, my thoughts exactly, even with the wired connection it still gets gnarly. The odd thing is is the fact that I've had this for about 2-3 months and only recently it's begun to do this. I fear I may have to get a new one, thus wasting about $100+.

P.S. Do you know if enabling my SPI might work?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok, the issue seems to be clear now. I don't know what I did, it may have been enabling SPI, but we'll see how it works out for now.

Thanks for all of your help Hassassinade!

Sorry this didn't help.