Issues Connecting to Xbox LIVE, Error 80151909

Good evening everyone,

Late this afternoon, I began experiencing an issue signing into Xbox LIVE:  After I type in my Microsoft Account password (needed to sign in), it pops up telling me that this profile can't connect to Xbox LIVE right now, please try again later.  The error code given is 80151909.

I found this Support article here, however I'm not trying to download my Profile (it's already on my HDD) nor is it giving me the error message the support article is saying it should.

As such, I haven't tried redownloading my profile yet.

After about two to four attempts, I am able to connect to Xbox LIVE.

At last check the service isn't showing any issues right now and everything is up and running, so I'm assuming this isn't a system wide issue and is related to my specific account.

If this problem persists, what would you recommend?

Thank you!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Working on the therory that the local profile is out of date or corrupted, (so when a routine asks for data from it, it causes the error message), I'd start by clearing the system cache (it's just temporary files plus game updates, automatically reloaded) by:

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button on the controller, go 2 clicks right to Settings, pick System Settings.

2) Select Storage (or Memory if Storage).

3) Move over any hard drive or memory unit (not the Cloud) & press (Y) on your controller & pick Clear System Cache.

4) When asked to confirm storage device maintenance, choose Yes.

Delete profile from your console

1) go to http://xbox.com/accounts & click on Sign in at upper right - if you can't sign in then ** STOP: DON'T ** delete your profile. Please call Xbox Support http://tinyurl.com/XBLnumbers Option 2 for help with your account. If you can sign in, delete & redownload your profile on your Xbox this way:

2) Go to Settings - pick System - choose Storage - pick All Devices - choose Gamer Profiles

3) pick the gamertag choose Delete, and pick Delete Profile Only.

This deletes the profile but leaves saved games and achievements. Now, re-download your profile.

Re-download

1) Tap the silver Xbox Guide button

2) Select Download Profile (and if you don't see it, press the blue X button to make sure you're not signed in) and proceed with Profile Download.

3) Enter the Microsoft Account addresse for your Xbox LIVE gamertag when asked.

4) Enter the password for the Microsoft Account.

4A) If your account is an Xbox LIVE child account, the parent’s Windows Live ID & password is required as well to download your profile.

5) Pick the storage device for your profile (choose Hard Drive if you have one, or Memory Unit if you don't have a Hard Drive).

6) When the download completes you will be asked if you want the console to remember your password. If it's your home console, I'd say yes, otherwise I'd think carefully about leaving my profile unprotected on somebody else's Xbox!

7) Sign in, and retry.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I had the same problem !

Sorry this didn't help.

Then please try the same solution.

Sorry this didn't help.

@Vibroplex  Thanks.  If the issue persists over the next few days, I'll try clearing my cache first and see if that helps.  If it doesn't, then I'll nix and redownload my profile.

After a few days I'll update this thread with my results.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

It happpened again after I re-downloaded my profile but not when I cleared the system cache. It usually happens every time I turn off my console now.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all,

I tried clearing my cache which did not resolve the issue.  I then redownloaded my profile and it connected first try.  I'll try again soon and see if it's consistent and if my original problem has been resolved.

After I redownloaded my profile and connected I checked out my various settings to make sure nothing defaulted, and found two odd things:

1) My profile was originally about 25 MB.  After redownloading it was about 40KB, and now after playing Mass Effect 3 for about 30 minutes it's 5 MB.  Does anyone know how it could have become so small?  Everything seems to be there...

2) Under Settings>Account>Your Memberships, it shows my Xbox LIVE Gold membership but also "Xbox LIVE Gameplay," repeated three times.  Originally when I tried selecting one of these three it would tell me that Xbox LIVE was experiencing issues and to try again later, giving me an error code (which I sadly did not record).  Now those three options are greyed out and I can't select them.  Does anyone know what they are?

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

@Vibroplex I regret your advice did not resolve the situation.  It just took me half a dozen attempts to log in successfully.  Same error message given each time.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

The error code 800151909 is becoming a significant issue without an immediate solution, so I do suggest you call Xbox Live (See number below) and choose Option 2, or go to support.xbox.com/contact-us and click on Request A Call

Sorry this didn't help.

@Vibroplex  Thanks, at least I know I'm not alone then, and I do believe this is part of a larger issue.

Just now, I deleted my profile and then cleared my system's cache and rebooted.  I re-cleared the system's cache and then redownloaded the profile.

After several seconds of redownloading, it came up with the error message that the profile couldn't be downloaded right now and gave the same error code.

I attempted again and this time it worked.  I then signed out of the profile and shut down my console.  After 20 seconds I rebooted and tried to sign in, and received the "This Profile can't connect to Xbox LIVE right now, try again later message with the same error code."

I then tried again and was able to log in successfully.

I'll give Support a call shortly.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.

Just to update further:  Got off the phone with Xbox Support after trying several troubleshooting issues to no avail.  The Support rep has filed an Emerging Issue report, and hopefully a resolution will be discovered in the next little while.

--
Juxtapose13

Sorry this didn't help.