Issues changing email linked with XBox live account

I have a windows phone, and would like to link my already existing Xbox live gamertag with the live account I have set up on the phone. I've tried doing it from my XBox and it tells me that my live id is already linked to an xbox live account, but this is the temporary account that was set up when I purchased the phone. Is there any way to link the two, or is this just hopeless? Thanks for any help!!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

On your Xbox console and on some Microsoft services, you may still see “Windows Live ID” used instead of “Microsoft account.”  These two names mean the same thing, and do not affect the information you use to sign in.

--------------------------

Your  Xbox Live gamertag is permanently associated with the account you used when creating it.  That is, the gamertag is simply an alias for the account.

--------------------------

You can have your phone use the account associated with your Xbox gamertag.  See "Change a Windows Live ID FAQ":

www.windowsphone.com/.../change-a-windows-live-id-faq

---------------------------

Alternatively, you could create a new gamertag to use on the Xbox and connect that to the account you currently have on your phone.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.