Issue - HDMI monitor with no speakers

Hi,

I have my Xbox 360. I used to play through SCART on my TV. I've bought a Samsung LED with a HDMI input, but no speakers. It's a monitor, not a TV.

So, I hook up the HDMI cable from my Xbox to my monitor. The video works well, but I don't have any sound (doh).

Now I have a surround system for my PC, and the original AV cord. I made both the HDMI and the AV cords to fit, but there's no image anymore.

So the question is basically: How can I connect my monitor through HDMI and my Surround System through those left/right jacks? I don't need surround from Xbox, I just need SOUND!

My Xbox cable is like this: http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/C3Oqp3p5Kw4O9m_MOik1WJielkrRP8D4wo5oUra7BSEto_yWt7DFiKFMYCMGjsYSbDoeCTIXhKUmpzVsA-MWY1izlfnzszrgBbaAtLi9LQy8qivpnSzVfheH8RpBTx-EZpKGvZDjmJVcN_XQQqoCOt1jmUO4HcW4ZuIufw

Thanks,

Andrei

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 403 Applies to:

Eh, your "solution" isn't ideal.

AV port cables are pinned to tell the 360 how to output video and audio. While cracking open cables works sometimes, you're left with an HDMI output that doesn't support HDCP and potentially display resolutions listed as X by Y, not HDTV standards.

The proper thin AV audio adapter that sits alongside HDMI cables tells the 360 that audio can go via the adapter and video goes via HDMI, retaining HDCP support and allowing the HDMI port to properly handshake with attache devices.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Issue solved.

My electronics skills are near absolute zero. Hell, I have problems distinguishing a cable from a light bulb (jokin'), but I've manage to solve this problem without throwing away any money on over-priced cables.

I cracked the original cable, which had red-white audio and yellow video. Then I cut off the video cable, took out the pins from the plug thinking that maybe that's why my Xbox thinks I want video through two cables, and it worked!

Having those big jacks on the other end, I couldn't connect any of them into my PC for a line in sound. This is what I did:

I realized that if I didn't want to pay for a pricy Microsoft cable, I can solve this myself also. So I cracked up my EURO SCART adapter, in which I used to plug my three jacks. Cut off the normal jack from some old headphones. Connected the red cable with the green cable and the white with white cable. Did the same on my headphones, then connected the two groups accordingly.

Now, when I insert the white and red jack into what's left of the SCART addapter and plug it in with the normal jack, I have surround sound! Clear as H2O.

If you don't have the adapter, you can cut off the big jacks, connect the colored cables then the common cables, take an old jack, connect all of them, and you're off.

I gave details, maybe they will help someone one day, who finds himself in the same situation as me.

I feel like an electronics guru right now. =)

Thanks starcomusa30273 for trying to help.

Over and out,

Andrei

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I just bought the same monitor and am now having the same problem. However, as FearedNightmare posted, I have the Optical RCA Adapter, but the image is still not showing up.

So my setup is HDMI connecting the Xbox 360 (original, but not elite) to the monitor and then the Optical RCA Adapter plugged in as well which is connected to the speakers. Still, as long as the Optical RCA Adapter is plugged into the Xbox, there is no image.

Sorry this didn't help.

Basicly if your monitor has the video port you should be able to connect video to your monitor and then plug the red and white (audio jacks) into 2 of your surround sound speakers

Since you have a monitor i recommend getting VGA HD Cable or a Component HD Cable

I used to have a monitor to play on as well my setup was a HDMI to DVI cable which provided video
and then the Cable that came with the elite the Optical RCA Adapter , it has an optical cable and 2 audio jacks where i connected my wires in but since that only comes with the elite i recommend one of the above options

Sorry this didn't help.