Is this TV any good for gaming?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/insignia-insignia-42-1080p-120hz-lcd-hdtv-ns-42l780a12-ns-42l780a12/10167574.aspx?path=6a46708049b0bb2459e0b91371507455en02

This TV is really cheap and most of the specs look good (1080p, 120 Hz, 42"), but the response time is 6.5 ms.  I don't know much about TVs and I'm not sure if 6.5 ms is fast enough for gaming.  If 6.5 ms is good, how about the rest of the specs?  Is this a good TV?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

You know what. It all depend on the lighting in your house. Is it bright, is it dark. Will the sun shine right on your TV. Will it be behind. A place like Bestbuy will help you out for sure. If your really nice. I have heard that a guy has tested Xbox out on some of the TV's on display.

I typically turn the lights off when I'm playing video games and there are some small windows behind/beside where the TV would be placed, but not much light gets in through them.  Also, as far as I know, this TV is available online only, so I won't be able to test it out in-store.

Should be a good TV only way to really tell is buy it and test it out. If you purchase it retail can always return it. The response time and refresh rate are way above what the 360 outputs so shouldn't have any issue with image quality.

Is this Samsung UE37D5000 good for playing xbox360?

6.5ms is good. If I remember correctly, the human eye can only process in the 6ms range anyway. That doesn't mean slower times won't be noticeable on-screen though. You will see manufacturers that boast 2ms times. The problem with those claims is that they are usually grey to grey  measurements, which make the response times appear faster. What you want is a black to white to black measurement. Any display with a 2ms time is usually around 6-8ms black to white to black. and 2ms grey to grey. Unfortunately, there is no standard for measuring, so the numbers can actually be meaningless. That said, Insignia is pretty much a generic store brand. They're okay for what they are, but they're not great TVs by any stretch of the imagination. If you're at a set price point, I would honestly give up a couple of inches and get a better brand.

Normally, I'd stay away from a brand like Insignia, but the specs are this TV are pretty impressive.  If I spend another $100 to upgrade to a real brand, all the specs are reduced.  Smaller screen, lower refresh rate, higher response time, weaker speaker output, etc.  Basically, I'd have to downgrade all the real specs, just to have the TV say "Sony" or "Panasonic" below the screen.  Is Insignia really THAT terrible?

[quote user="Philmac"]Is Insignia really THAT terrible?

[/quote]In a word, yes.

[quote user="Philmac"]

Normally, I'd stay away from a brand like Insignia, but the specs are this TV are pretty impressive.  If I spend another $100 to upgrade to a real brand, all the specs are reduced.  Smaller screen, lower refresh rate, higher response time, weaker speaker output, etc.  Basically, I'd have to downgrade all the real specs, just to have the TV say "Sony" or "Panasonic" below the screen.  Is Insignia really THAT terrible?

[/quote]

Insignia isn't THAT terrible (Okay maybe it is), but a Sony (LCD) or a Panasonic (plasma) would blow one away, regardless of the meaningless specs that Insignia wants to publish. Doesn't the fact that the specs are "better" yet the set is cheaper tell you something? When it comes to displays, you do get what you pay for. I'm not telling you what to do, but you'll be cheeping out and getting an inferior product in order to save a measely $100. You may not mind (or even notice) at first, but after a while, you'll realize you wasted your money to save a relatively small amount.

I used to have a 1080p 60hz 32in Insignia. Terrible picture. Lots of ghosting and after about a year the screen started getting stuck pixels and articfacts. I'd stick to name-brands if I were you.