Is this true?

I bought a 4gb xbox 360 Slim, and obviously 4gb isnt enough space to do anything with. I want to drop a 250gig drive in it, but it is $100 bucks, I only paid $129 for the entire console. I talked to a friend of mine and told him I wanted to just buy a 250 gig laptop SATA drive from the local computer shop (for 45 bucks instead of $100 PLUS 13% tax here in Canada for the "Official" 250gb xbox drive) and put it in my console like I did for my PS3. He told me I can be banned for doing that. WTF?!  why would I want to pay double the price for a 250 gig drive inside a piece of plastic?

Why would they even sell a 4gb model then? 4gig is useless, and not every person is a sheep who likes to pay top dollar for something that says Microsoft on it. I dont get it. I just want to be able to install my games on a drive instead of thrashing the dvd rom at full speed on it every time I play a game. Sure I dont mind putting the disc in to play so it can verify I have the game, then run off the HD, but I dont want it spinning at full RPM the whole time because the original HD drive is too small to install pretty much anything on, and its against the rules to maybe save a few bucks and buy something NOT overpriced? For $100 bucks I can buy a 2 terabyte drive ffs, and M$ wants us to pay $100 for 250 gig? And ban you for NOT buying it from them?

I certainly hope my friend is wrong about this or I may have wasted my time and money with an xbox.....

/endrant

Sling

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Yes it is against the terms and puts you at risk for being banned. The 4gb was made as a replacement for the old arcade 360s (which only had 512mb if I remember correctly) basicly for casual gamers.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

not to mention the 250gig hd is not a off the shelf part

it comes with the backwards compatiblity emulator and the caching that is required for halo and call of duty games

Sorry this didn't help.

The 4 gig is a joke....I dont know why they made that..what does it hold like one game save.Just another way for them to make money off people that didnt know any better.You can plug in a external flash card or hard drive,but it will only hold up to a certain amount,Cant remember how much but it isnt very much.It doesnt matter how big it is either....If you take your box apart for any reasons they will ban you from live....its considered modding.

Sorry this didn't help.

16gigs is max mabuhay for non xbox hds

and yes the 4gig is not meant for serious gamers

thats what the 250gig model is for at 100dollars more

the hd is 120bucks seperately that is why it is suggested you buy the 250gig model

Sorry this didn't help.

Just thought it was odd..thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Slingblayde"]put it in my console like I did for my PS3.[/quote]The PS3 locks that drive to the console. There is no way to take it out of that console and put it in another console.

Are you POSITIVE you'd like that type of encryption used on a 360? Think long and hard about that...[quote]He told me I can be banned for doing that. WTF?!  why would I want to pay double the price for a 250 gig drive inside a piece of plastic?[/quote]Oh, you're paying triple now, but a bare HDD cannot be used as trusted, writable storage in the 360 ecosystem. What you're paying for is that trust.[quote]Why would they even sell a 4gb model then?[/quote]To complete with the Wii.[quote]4gig is useless[/quote]For an XBLA gamer or someone who games a few hours a week, it's perfectly fine.[quote]its against the rules to maybe save a few bucks and buy something NOT overpriced?[/quote]Microsoft ran a sale for two months on the 250GB HDD. It was $99. Even now, from Amazon direct, it's $99.55.[quote]For $100 bucks I can buy a 2 terabyte drive ffs[/quote]They don't make a 2TB 2.5" disk, so... no?[quote]I certainly hope my friend is wrong about this or I may have wasted my time and money with an xbox.....[/quote]He's not. You did.

"waste" is a very nebulous term when it comes to an entertainment device. You don't need a 360. It's a luxury item. If you don't like the cost of entry you are free to choose something else.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a older 60 gig PS3 the hard drive is removeable and can be replased with a bigger one.Just has to be a certain kind which is the same in most PCs.So for one like mine you could put it in a pc...the newer slims though I have no idea though.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="xMABUHAY KAx"]I have a older 60 gig PS3 the hard drive is removeable and can be replased with a bigger one.[/quote]And that has what to do with what I posted?

The PS3 drive is replaceable, but cannot be moved between consoles. Sony encrypts the drive such that only the console it was formatted in can read it. Take it out of that console and put it in a new console and it won't work without a reformat.[quote]Just has to be a certain kind which is the same in most PCs.[/quote]It has to be a 9.5mm SATA drive so it'll fit in the HDD bay. There are no other restrictions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Its partly a lie. while the internal hard drive technically is supposed to be official x box hardware anyone can tell you that there is no stopping the external hard drive plugged into a usb slot. So it then becomes a question of licensing because while the hardware is on the outside of the device it is not a part of the console. Once you put it into the casing it then becomes part of the hardware and must pass the same licensing issues as all the other internal parts.  I have no concrete knowledge just a general flow of the way I personally think it should work.

Sorry this didn't help.