Is this normal ? Video attached.

Hi guys..

I need some advice as I might be doing something that is entirely not even worth it. I am convinced my disc drive is messed up, and I have ogranised with Microsoft to send it out, but it might take OVER a month! or even longer being from Australia. So I need to find out if my console is acting normal or there is actually a hardware problem.

I've taken a short video and attached it to get some advice from people who have the console, and maybe I am just overlooking the new consoles mechanics.

My problem here is before the disc enters or even sometimes as it exits, the xbox makes a horrible churning sound as heard in the video.
It seems the disc can only be entered VERY slowly or it kind of gets jammed/stuck ? Is this a new mechanic, I'm not familiar with?
With the PS3 and other consoles that you need to slide the disc in, it's very smooth, but I find with the Xbox One, you need to enter it very slowly and preciscley for it to kind of "grab" the disc then enters...

ANY advice here would be appreciated.

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YThZ_iJilhU&feature=youtu.be

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

That noise is not normal. Can you not return it to the retailer and buy a different one? That way you won't have to wait on support...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

My retailer including most the country have no more Xbox Ones due the Christmas demand, and they have no set date on when they will get more.. :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, that's the faulty disc drive issue that some have experienced. I've seen other videos of the same.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yep, that's the faulty disk drive issue that some have experienced. I've seen other videos of the same. You should return it, but man it sucks that it'll take so long.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there if you cannot exchange it thru the retailer then most likely your going to have to contact xbox customer support to get a replacement. Just a warning you will have to pay to ship it to microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

Um mine makes a simluar sound when i first insert it,  ive found if the disc is perfectly flat and even when inserting it, it doesnt make that sound.  So it may just be how its designed.  Try making sure it perfectly horizonatal when inserting it and see if it makes the sound.  Never heard it when removing the disc.  I think it may be normal,  mine isnt that loud and kinda just sounds like the case rattleing a little.   If yours is like mine it does work correctly doesnt it?

Sorry this didn't help.

^^ This is what I'm saying, if other peoples xbox makes a similar sound maybe it's normal?

Yes my Xbox One works perfectly. It won't make that noise if I put the disc straight it, it's only when I go to enter it and kind of make it sensor a disc is coming through but I wont feed it through, that's when it makes that sounds.

If other people can test by doing that and let me know, it would save me much hassle

Sorry this didn't help.

Im thinking it may just be just rattleing,  sadly i dont know anyone else with a xbox one to see if its normal.   Just to be clear to most people this sound isnt the same poping sound youd see from defective drives,  this is more a rattling sound coming from inside the drive when the pull in sound is heard.  IMO i think the thing that grabs this disc is just rattleing because once you put a disc in for it to grab it the sound goes away.  Drive pulls in and ejects the discs just fine and like normal.   I was also pretty worried if it was messed up or not but considering it seems to function fine ive let it slide till im certain its just my system.   Your video i think makes it seem louder then it actually is.    I know every slim 360 i ever heard the case would rattle when a disc was spinning.   If you get a new system report back if your new unit still does it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Dub, if your console is only making this noise when entering the disc and not when playing games, to save yourself having to go through the whole returns process, maybe just try to ignore it? If you can't ignore it or it becomes unbearable or starts to render the console unusable then please see here to get a replacement - myservice.xbox.com/.../Welcome.aspx Start by registering your console and follow the on screen prompts. Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

Had a similar issue on my 2nd Xbone. The first Xbone I had did not have this issue, the second one did, and the third one did not either. However, I did notice that pushing in on the faceplate would often make the rattling disappear, and that the disc feeding sound mechanism was a lot different than Xbone #1 and Xbone #3. My guess is that there are multiple manufacturers for the Blu-Ray drive with one brand that has a more aggressive feeding mechanism than the other brand. I honestly would not worry too much about it unless it starts making that noise during normal gameplay, or the drive starts randomly ejecting discs or not reading discs.

Sorry this didn't help.