Is there any way to get a compromised account back any faster?

My account was compromised last month and I haven't had access to it since the 25th of last month. It's currently "under investigation" and I was told that I wouldn't get access to my account back until the 27th or the 28th of this month which is load of stinky ***.

I've had the worst experience with this whole fiasco and the support people are clueless. One guy misspelled my email by one letter and it took 3 calls to straighten out.

I understand that Microsoft wants to catch whoever and find out how they did what they did but that stuff really isn't my issue and there's absolutely no reason that they need to keep my account locked and not give me access back to it. 

I had a card associated with the account and that was cancel the day all this started. Microsoft reimbursed my account for the charges made against it the next day. Nothing has gone even half as smoothly after all that. It's just one short bus, Forest Gump conversation after another. 

Is there a valid reason why some douche can recover my account and change my log in info over night but these fools can't give me my account back in a matter of weeks?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Well the best way is to not be phished or socially engineered.

What an insightful and witty response. I'm so glad we have someone so filled with empathy as an xbox live ambassador. I guess you accurately represent the scum bag douches that make up the majority of the online community. Way to go. You're a credit to your mouth-breathing peers and no one could be a lesser human being. Congratulations.

[quote user="Jack Specter"]

What an insightful and witty response. I'm so glad we have someone so filled with empathy as an xbox live ambassador. I guess you accurately represent the scum bag douches that make up the majority of the online community. Way to go. You're a credit to your mouth-breathing peers and no one could be a lesser human being. Congratulations.

[/quote]

You, sir, just earned yourself a 5-star comment rating. Wow that had so much win in it, I'm really glad I came to this forum section today.

You have brightened my day.

For the record I think the recovery process should be quicker, however you lost your account not due to some security breach on Microsoft's part, but in fact on your part.  A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, and that link is you.  I wish you luck on getting your account back, but you will have to be patient.

Take a look at the links below to help keep your account safer in the future.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/Security-Checklist
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/Stolen-Account
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Live/Account-Security/What-To-Do

Here we go with another "ambassador" who needs to get some perspective. Stop being douches to the people that have been hacked.

So I'm a weak link because Epic's forums got hacked and my gamertag was linked to my forum account? Have you been to Epic's forums? Try checking out the Gears 3 forums and seeing just how many people's gamertags are linked to their forum accounts.

Is it all those people's fault that some jerks hacked Epic to get account info?

Seriously, you "ambassadors" have got to be the most self-righteous, sanctimonious, myopic, people on the planet.

Look how easy it is to recover a gamertag. That function shouldn't have been included in the first place and should have been removed via patch after all the problems it's caused.

Let's also take into consideration what one of the support guys was telling me:

He said it's really easy for someone to call support repeatedly and to get enough info about your account to pretend to be you so that they can have the password changed. I suppose that's the people who've been hacked's fault as well though right? All those guys need is your gamertag and email address.

Last but not least, how about assigning blame where it's due... to the shady turds that go around hacking people.

If you wanna be forum mod "ambassadors" would take your heads out of your collective rear ends and take a few minutes to look at the big picture instead of stroking your egos because you think being an xbox live ambassador means something you might serve the community better and find out what it really means to be an ambassador.

I'm curious as to why you hate Ambassadors so much.  We don't work for MS you know.  Neither am I a fanboy either, in case you were thinking.  Heck, last night I was playing on my PS3.

Could you provide me with some links to the these threads on the epic forums?

Why is there a need to link your gamertag to the Epic forums.  As I see it, they use the standard vbulltin user name and password system many forums use.  Did you use the same email address and password you use for Live? 

As for calling support and asking for account details, that isn't hacking, it's social engineering and you need more than an Gamertag and email address - you need a full name and address.  There is a reason why you should NEVER share your LIVE ID with anyone.

I don't hate ambassadors. I just have a problem with people who pretend to know what they are talking about when they don't. No offense but I'll take the word of the customer support staff that deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis over some random guy on xbox live's forums.

You're so out of touch that you know nothing about Epic's forums or the hack that happened a few weeks back, and yet you still try to assert that you have the situation well in hand and know how everything works.

Being an xbox live ambassador doesn't magically confer some know-it-all status on you. It's not hard to see when someone is faking it and trying to be Mr. Internet know-it-all.

Instead you ambassador types should work on a little empathy, humility, and start fostering an environment conducive to mutual communal respect. Instead I see a lot of browbeating, and condescending coming from the ambassadors.

Granted, it hasn't been that bad in this thread but it's as plain as day. Why do you think those people were giving me virtual high fives for posting that? It's all pretty obvious to me.

I've never pretended to be a 'know it all', I don't do that.  Yes, I am unaware of the epic forum hack and I can't see where you link your gamertag,  Why have you not answered my questions?

One I never pretend to know stuff I don't.. Two online internet safety could of prevented you from loosing your account. Three I never asked to be made an ambassador therefore I will never change how I respond to a PUBLIC INTERNET FORUM where different peoples opinion comes to fruitation and not everyone will agree with everyones opinion.