Is There A Way To Disconnect From Xbox Live?

Here's my problem. I live in an overly populated area, and usually only get to turn on certain games during the afternoon on week days (scheduling issues). I live in the second largest school district in the state, and besides all of the grade and high schools, we also have a college. Unfortunately, not long after I log on, the local high school gets out, as well as the grade schools. The Freshman high school class alone is close to 2000 kids (plus teachers & staff). So, when all of the literally thousands of kids & adults get out of school and turn on their cells, go home and turn on their computers, cable TVs, and anything else that takes up server space, I hit a big bandwidth drop. As a result, the workout programs that I use tend to either crash, or lag to death.

Since I can't expect thousands of kids to wait for me to finish working out, I can't afford to move right now, and I don't have a better time to work out, I need to disconnect my Xbox from the internet. Is there any way to do this, other than just pulling the plug? If the info helps with a solution, I had a wireless connection in the past, but have since gone wired. I am using an Xbox Slim that is just over a year old.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

This isn't a wired vs WiFi issue, you'll see the same result with either. DSL services (internet from your phone company) are not affected by heavy use as the cable-based Internet services are. Have you looked into DSL internet service?

As to disconnecting, well, which exercise apps/games are you using? I'd suggest checking with the forums for those games & apps in their forums.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have AT&T U-Verse. And I get this crash with non-Kinect games as well, especially if I play them online. It's a Monday - Friday thing. And if the weather is nice, Saturday afternoons / early evenings as well, if the weather is nice, and there's a big party in the area. I had the problem with WiFi as well. I switched to the  cat5 cable connection to help the problem. It helps, but not as much as I would like.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Archer! The simplest solution would just be to unplug your wired connection and don't connect wirelessly to any networks. That should keep you disconnected from live during those peak times that cause issues.

Sorry this didn't help.

I thought of just disconnecting, but my Xbox just auto logs onto the WiFi. I also tried to install a couple of the games, but that didn't help. I think I have a DRM (Digital Rights Management) issue, so even if I could disconnect, I wouldn't be able to use the programs.

Sorry this didn't help.

Settings | Profile | Sign-In Preferences | set Profile Auto Sign-In to OFF

As to the DRM problem, did you change to this Xbox from another? Were the other games bought on a different Xbox? If you want to use them on this Xbox, then sign in at a quiet time, do Settings | Account | License Transfer and after starting that, re-download your apps to solve the DRM issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

For some reason, every time I set auto to off, it resets to on when I reboot. No, these were new games, bought new, only on this system. The main one is an Ubisoft game. I installed that game, Your Fitness Evolved 2012, and the issue cleared up 99%. As long as I'm not already doing a workout when the big surge hits, I don't have an issue with that game now.

And by big surge, I should point out that we have a separate school just for the high school freshmen here. Over 1200 students. Plus faculty. Then add the other classes, and it's a really big hit to our system at once. Old, neglected wires & servers.

I think I may have to move to get past this.

Sorry this didn't help.

OK, here's another workaround. Get an ethernet cable, any ethernet cable, any length. http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orders6.cgi?action=Search&id=ID16422738&partno=&search=CAT-5E_STRAIGHT&sort=8&rsite=cgi&rcode= has them at decent prices but you can get them from anywhere.

To force yourself offline, plug one of the ends of the cable (leaving the other end not connected to anything) into the socket on the back of the Xbox which will disable the wireless connection. Unplug it to go back on line with your wireless.

Sorry this didn't help.