Is there a way to convert a local console account to Live Child Aaccount?

Background: I'm trying to convert my two son's local accounts on the Xbox into a Xbox Live Silver.  They're both children, so I decided to try with my younger son's profile first since he had less saves/achievements, etc.

From the console, signed in as the local account, I tried to join Xbox Live, it tells me I need a Microsoft Account.

I setup a Microsoft Account for him.  I had to go through the parent approval process, etc.

I go back to the console and try to join Live again, this time it tells me that because the account is a child account and I have to set it up on xbox.com.

I setup the Live account through xbox.com. 

I go back to the console and try to join Live again; this time it tells me the account already exists, leaving me with the choice to just login with the new Live account.  The problem is that now I have two separate accounts on the console; one local and one Live account, not merged.

Is there a better way of doing this?  It seems like the process has changed recently.  It would seem the problem is related to the fact that this is a child account, which is unfortunate since I'm guessing most local console profiles that would be converted to Live would be kids.

I'm guessing there is no way to merge the local account with the Live account.  All I really care about is the game saves, the achievements don't mean that much to them.

-Rug

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 14 Applies to:

This will help you convert the account to a Live Account: support.xbox.com/.../offline-profile-to-gamertag

Just a warning the display name will change but you can change it to what you want for free: support.xbox.com/.../change-xbox-live-gamertag

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Just to add, after upgrading the offline profile to a gamertag you can only change it once for free (and only in the first 30 days) after the initial generated gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.

I understand what you mean since your child is under the age of 13 u have to go through the steps to add him a MSA for the offline profile.. on the Xbox 360 when u try to join up live for the offline profile for your child it will not let u because of the age and when u go the website and try doing it from there it will create a account already but it will say that a account is already created so it will not let u tie that email to the off line profile// he will have to start over with the game play// and the offline profile needs a adult info to get it transfer too

Sorry this didn't help.

Bummer, but at least I know now.  Thanks for all the replies!

Sorry this didn't help.