Is there a way to change the email associated with Microsoft Accounts / Xbox Live Accounts?

I recently bought a Windows 8 computer and when I created all my information for it I used my current email address. When i went into the store it showed an old gamertag associated with this email instead of my current gamertag which is on a different email address. Long story short.. Is there a way that i can delete this gamertag on my current email (thats for my windows 8 computer) and link it / merge it with my actual Xbox gamertag (that i use and have microsoft points on) ?
I read somewhere that I would have to create a 3rd account in order to transfer it, but I didn't quite understand it. I just want to delete the secondary gamertag as I do not use it.
Any information is helpful :)
Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You can change the email assoicated with an account if it isn't a Hotmail, Live, Outlook email address by logging in to accountservices.passport.net and clicking "Rename Account". However, if it is a Hotmail, Live, Outlook email then you are unable to change it.

Customer Support may be able to help you switch your Xbox Gamertag to the email of your choice, you can contact them at support.xbox.com/.../contact-us

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

yes you can go to xbox.com and sign-in to connect another email account to your profile id or you can also change the email address linked to the xbox live account. just log-in and go to settings or account profile and then click email settings or linked account

Sorry this didn't help.

also in the setting you can go to rename your account or you can even do it on ur xbox threw your account by selecting the change email setting

Sorry this didn't help.

Gamertag A now uses Microsoft Account addresse #1

Gamertag B now uses Microsoft Account addresse #2

TODAY

On a PC make new Microsoft Account addresse #3 at http://signup.live.com

Switch Gamertag A to Microsoft Account addresse #3 on the Xbox with Settings | Account | --> --> Account Security | Change Microsoft Account which will free up the #1 Microsoft Account

IN 30 DAYS OR MORE FROM TODAY (write the date on your calandar)

Switch Gamertag B to Microsoft Account addresse #1 (current email) on the Xbox with Settings | Account | --> --> Account Security | Change Microsoft Account

WHY WAIT 30 DAYS?

Switching Microsoft Accounts multiple times was a trick used by account thieves, to 'muddy the trail' and make it tough to catch them. I hope you don't mind Microsoft making life difficult for account thieves...

Sorry this didn't help.

I did this, yesterday was the date i wrote down and it still is not working. Keeps saying that it can't be changed right now and to check the website for help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey MissLovely! That 30 day wait also applies if you just changed your Microsoft Account email address for your current account so you'll have to wait until those 30 days are over before you can make the switch here.

Sorry this didn't help.