Is the kinect a stepping stone to a true virtual reality gaming system?

They are just touching the surface with the kinect/eye.  Some of the things I have seen done with the ps4 eye/kinect 2 are pretty impressive.  It might be a while, but is this the beginning of a true virtual reality gaming system.  Ten years from now might we be wearing a head piece that allows us to be completely immersed in a game?  People are hating on these peripherals but they might be the future of gaming.  

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Looking at what can be done with illumiroom and kinect I can see it moving in that direction without the need of helmets

What happened to those gaming glasses, with the tiny screens inside?

Or am I thinking of something else? I'm sure they existed.

I say no. We already have this type of technology but we are closer to implant a cell phone chip into the human head behind the ear in the next few years. 

[quote user="Marlboro Ford"]

What happened to those gaming glasses, with the tiny screens inside?

Or am I thinking of something else? I'm sure they existed.

[/quote]

there is lots of new technology all the time, there's a new material called "graphene" that is more conductive than things like copper, 100 times stronger than steel and very flexible.

It's more energy efficient than a lot of materials too, i believe it's one of the most energy efficient... basically tl;dr is that it will be used in batteries that will charge in about 3 minutes.

It's cheap because it's a very thin later of graphite hence graphene... and it could be used in things like paper thin foldable screens, even in contact lense displays for gaming one day :)

Also Read this: http://www.futureleap.com/news/electronic-contact-lens/

watch this: http://www.youtube.com/embed/Q_eTLPKdrHs

I have read reports that claim Sony and MS have been working on VR technology which may prove to be more advanced than anything the Oculus Rift will have.Even having glasses with a HUD display for FPS games would be incredible.

illumiroom is junk, why not just get a real front projector?  

The rift actually does work and makes sense.  There could be some limited application from AR http://technicalillusions.com/  however, I would say the uses are fairly limited.

Oculus Rift clearly shows potential, everything else is junk or gimmicks like the kinect.

OR - clearly has potential today and in the future will be improved

AR - potential but probably limited in use... mostly business use, but maybe some game use

Kinect/Eye/Web Cam - same as it ever was... limited in ever way because it's being used as an input device... gimmick web cam device 

Illumiroom - I haven't seen anything that is worth while to a general consumer, gimmick

[quote user="Riven57"]

I say no. We already have this type of technology but we are closer to implant a cell phone chip into the human head behind the ear in the next few years. 

[/quote]

I'll bypass that idea 

[quote user="MAKO MARAUDER"]

illumiroom is junk, why not just get a real front projector?  

The rift actually does work and makes sense.  There could be some limited application from AR http://technicalillusions.com/  however, I would say the uses are fairly limited.

Oculus Rift clearly shows potential, everything else is junk or gimmicks like the kinect.

OR - clearly has potential today and in the future will be improved

AR - potential but probably limited in use... mostly business use, but maybe some game use

Kinect/Eye/Web Cam - same as it ever was... limited in ever way because it's being used as an input device... gimmick web cam device 

Illumiroom - I haven't seen anything that is worth while to a general consumer, gimmick

[/quote]

This guy, I swear is the biggest troll ever.

So lets make it official. 

All in favor of making Mako the official XBOX ONE form troll say AYE

Truth hurts so you attack the messenger, I said three years ago the kinect was junk and it is.   Sorry not my problem, same restrictions for the PS Eye, they are web cams, which are so 90s.

Oculus Rift clearly has benefits to a normal consumer as it's mostly an output device and limited input (head tracking).    I would not consider either the Eye or the Kinect virtual reality, they are just web cams with newer tech, still have limited uses as a input device.   Getting mad at me is not going to change physics.

[quote user="StadiumFighter"]

Looking at what can be done with illumiroom and kinect I can see it moving in that direction without the need of helmets

[/quote]Meh.  IllumiRoom make be a step in the right direction, but it doesn't do anything special.  Just takes what's already on TV and overlays it over your walls and stuff.  Demo looked rather ugly in my opinion.  For true VR to be possible, I'd much rather have the closest thing we can get to something like this; That black area in the middle for anyone wondering, is supposed to be an omnidirectional treadmill, I think.  but yeah, otherwise, we're probably not going to get anything much better than Oculus Rift, anyway.