Is my new Xbox new?

As per title; is my new Xbox new? Strange question I know!

About a week ago I bought another Xbox. I think in total it might be the 10th Xbox I've purchased since 2005! (I wish I was joking!). Most of them failed and either went back to the retailer for a refund or back to Microsoft for replacement, but we currently had, before this purchase, an Xbox elite which has had numerous problems and then recently failed totally and 2 Xbox S 250gbs which the kids mainly use (presents, from memory).

Naturally, we have a lot of Xbox games! So I finally got around to replacing the Xbox Elite last week (so I had a console to use!), and bought a new Xbox 4gb (from a well known national retailer). This Xbox had a fault! Imagine my surprise! [insert feigned surprise face here]. So back it went today to the retailer, who replaced it straight away (Xbox number 11!). No issue with the retailer really, I explained it was faulty, and they replaced it instantly and without even checking for the fault.

Now this is where my problem lies; the dude in the shop didn't give me a new boxed Xbox, he went into the back and brought out an Xbox console (I should specify; it was wrapped in the paperish material and taped as though it was new) and he put the "new" console in my box (effectively just replacing the console itself and leaving me with the same controller, cables, packaging, etc - which is fair enough, I have no issue with this!), but when I got it home I was a little surprised to see the manufacturing date on the console is 2011. I wouldn't have a major problem with this, except that the one I took back had a manufactured date of 2012! It just strikes me as a little odd; it is a national chain in a busy shopping centre (so it will be a busy store); so why would they have a batch of Xboxs manufactured in 2012 one day and less than a week later have one manufactured in 2011?

Maybe I'm just being paranoid, it's just they also sell preowned Xbox Slim packages in the store and I obviously didn't see him open a new box and take out a brand new console (as he brought the replacement from the back of the store). 

Is there anyway Microsoft can tell if an Xbox has previously been used? I would assume each Xbox has a unique code which it sends to Microsoft when its first connected to the internet and registered (I don't just mean the MAC code, but an internal code - maybe the serial number or something?). Would Microsoft support be able to tell me if my "new" Xbox is indeed new (i.e. if I'm the first person to own it!)?

Is it normal for 2011 Xboxs to still be floating around and sold as new in a national chain of retailers in a busy shopping centre? I'm probably just being paranoid! My instincts just tell me something is wrong; if I paid for a new Xbox I expect to receive a new Xbox (if I wanted a used console I could have saved a bunch of money and just bought one!). 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I would return to the store and ask about their return policy. ask if it's standard practice to exchange a faulty new xbox with one that was already opened. any time I've returned a console it was replaced with a new one off the shelf.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have to agree here.  It is extremely odd to receive an open box replacement of a product.  I have to ask, which store was this?  A returned product should be replaced with a new product.  

I will say this though, I've been the victim of what you went through a couple of times.  I purchased an ereader from a Walmart in my city.  I didn't realize until I got home that the product had been returned as unusable and just put back on the shelf.

Sorry this didn't help.

Chromeosdubs/onyx62is - Thank you for your replies; the thing is, I'm not entirely SURE it is a used Xbox. There was nothing on the Xbox (either finger prints on the case or anything on the flash drive) to indicate it's second hand, and like I said in my original post the one he replaced it with came perfectly packaged in that paper/foam type wrapping that Xboxs are packaged in when they are new and just pulled from the outer cardboard packaging.

I may just have received really good customer service, the guy maybe went into the back, opened a new sealed Xbox 360 box and took out the console only, and then brought it out and swapped it with the one I had in my box (and put the one I had in my box into the other box for RTM - if you follow). This would have been the most expedient way for him to accomplish what I wanted (a working new Xbox). I was in and out of the shop in like 2 or 3 minutes, max!

That's why I deliberately chose not to name the store, I may just be being paranoid about it! (although, in fairness, it's the shops fault, even if he was trying to get everything sorted for me real quick he should have brought out the packaged Xbox to show it was new imho).

Were it not for the manufacturing dates I probably wouldn't have mentioned it all! Does anyone know if I can check this with Microsoft support? (i.e. give them the serial number of the xbox and see if it's ever been online before or some such thing?).

Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ablade contact microsoft and give them the consoles serial number they should be able to tell you if its been used or not

Sorry this didn't help.

Warranty on new 360 consoles is based on the manufacturing date.

It's a refurbished console. Exchange it at your retailer for a new console.

Sorry this didn't help.

It doesn't sound like you got swapped for a new console. Probably best to exchange it for an actual new device.

Sorry this didn't help.