Is leaving your Xbox one on while watching TV bad for the console?

I'll be getting my Xbox one in about a week. I've really been looking forward to all of the integration it allows in the living room. However, I am a little concerned. My wife is a stay at home mom and she tends to watch a lot of TV during the day while cleaning, folding clothes, cooking, etc. I can see the Xbox being on for a large part of the day because of this, especially since I'd be using it some at night when I get home some too. Will such extensive use have a detrimental effect on the console or did Microsoft design it with this in mind? Other electronics endure this kind of use (e.g. cable box, TV, computers, etc.)

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My friend had a launch PS3 and  I swear to god it was on ever since and to no surprise he has done the same thing with his XBONE and he has no problems ,he doesnt even ventilate the dam system.

I had my xbox one  connected to cable and it crashed had to send it back to Microsoft ! Got the green loading screen

The picture quality degrades seriously when hooking it up through the xbox one instead of through your cable box . I even changed settings to re calibrate my t.v.. I looked at it first through the xbox one then disconnected it and went back to the old way. It looks better not hooked up to xbox. I'm not that lazy that I need to flip from games to the t.v by keeping my console on forever.

If it makes you feel any better I have had mine since launch.  Directv run through it, always on.  Not a single issue.

Seeing as its was designed with tv watching in mind I severely doubt its more of an issue being on than lets say your currant set top or cable box.

I love its size and design (just like a desktop pc) which are meant to be only 24h's especially if server computers or computers needing remote access.

I also love that the fan is on top blowing hot air up (as heat rises).

I do think X1's will be tougher than the competition x years down the line (once the initial teething problems are sorted).

Ive have my X1 on for 24 hours and it barley feels warm...the kinect feels a little warm but not compared to what my 360 felt after a few hours of being on lol you could cook an egg on that thing....The box might be huge but it sure is well ventilated honestly.

The way I look at it is you don't sit their constantly worrying about your tv being on or in standby mode because that's how its designed to work same goes for xbox one.

2x on what Emm A Vee said on extended warranty - take it and hope it will last 10 years and not need to use the 3 year one

Exactly what others have said. Microsoft designed the Xbox one to be used excessively as an all in one multimedia device. Yet Microsoft won't stand by the "it'll run everyday for ten years" comment. The Xbox only comes with the 1 year warranty. So in my opinion just for safe measure. I'd opt out for the additional $70 to add 2 more years to your existing warranty.