Is it really worth setting the output to 1080p?

I was wondering is it even worth having my Xbox 360's output set to 1080p via HDMI if the games are natively being ran at 720p or even less? I know the Xbox 360 has a HD up scaler chip that supposedly up scales the image to 1080p if it's rendered at 720p or less natively, but up scaling to anything will ALWAYS give a poorer picture than the native picture.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 328 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Probably not worth it really. The possibly slight deterioration in picture quality will be offset by less jagged graphics due to the higher resolution. When I get Gears of War 3, F1 2011 and Battlefield 3 in the next few months I will do some experimenting on my 1080P capable LCD. These games are 720P or lower resolution.

It's simply preference. I recently picked up a new 27" 1080p LCD (my older 42" 720p died a while back and I have been using a 19" Monitor since) and some Games look worse in 1080p.

For example, BC2, I noticed very "weird" Textures on plants, tress, bushes and other Items while in 1080p. But then I played some Halo Reach in 1080p and it looked incredible. Yes, the Xbox 360 does Upscale all Content to what Settings are applied but it can only do so much with the "missing" Pixels.

I would say, simply play around and decide what you like more. It will vary person to person, Game to Game.

They say most games run in 720p.

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

Most games run at just 1280 x 720 as their native res. 360 can't handle much beyond that. Quite a few games run well below even that res. COD, Halo, FFXIII and even the upcoming BF3 run below it.

So you don't have to worry too much about running it beyond 720p.

If the display is 1080p, the only choice in upscaling is between letting the TV's internal scaler handle it or letting the 360's scaler handle it. Either way the image will be "adjusted" to fit the screen.

Here's something interesting for you to consider:

[quote]We already know that Battlefield 3 will run at a lower resolution and frame rate
on consoles compared to the PC (no offense to console players): the Xbox 360 and
PS3 versions will run at 30fps and 720p. But not quite.

DICE has revealed that Battlefield 3 runs at 1280 x 704 resolution on consoles, which is just 16
horizontal lines short of true 720p. But unlike other games that run at a lower
resolution, Battlefield 3 won’t be upscaled, instead, there will be two small
black bars (just 8px high) at the top and bottom of the screen. If the image was
scaled, it would “just ruin the picture”, as DICE rendering architect Johan
Andersson revealed via Twitter. According to Anderson, removing the 16 lines of
resolution increases performance and saves memory.

While both Microsoft and Sony stipulate that games support at least 720p resolution, many games,
including Halo and Call of Duty, actually run at a lower resolution and are then
upscaled, for performance issues. For instance, Call of Duty Black Ops ran at
1040 x 608, while the last few Halo games ran at 1152 x 640. Both were upscaled
to 720p (1280 x 720). [/quote]

Source

Depends on if your 1080 display can scale better than the 360 can. Some TVs can do a far better job using better methods while others will introduce far more artifacts than if the 360 was to do it.

[quote user="Smiling Cat"]

Depends on if your 1080 display can scale better than the 360 can. Some TVs can do a far better job using better methods while others will introduce far more artifacts than if the 360 was to do it.

[/quote]

This is exactly what I was going to say... It is also the correct answer!

There's also the issue of a game being in a non standard resolution. If you're playing halo 3, rendered in 640p, the 360 would upscale it to 720p anyway before sending it on. Setting your 360 to 1080p means the image only needs to be scaled once, instead of having your tv upscale an upscaled image.

Some games do run in 1080p. Very few but all the same they are out there. Not only that but the upscaling can look a whole lot better than just running in standard 720p. I had a monitor with a native resolution of 1680x1050 and by setting my display settings on my 360 to my monitors native resolution of 1680x1050 instead of 720p the games not only looked better but the in-game texts were much more clear and sharp.

I'm currently running a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080 and I've noticed a big difference between 1680x1050 to 1080p.

It's most definitely worth it if you're set up can handle it. But far more important is your own perception. Switch display settings and mess around with your favorite games, see if you can spot the differences, and then choose the display setting you like best.