Is it possible to get AVI files to play via Windows Media Centre through my 360??

I keep getting the message "Cannot play media, correct codec needed" or something similar... it is playing MP4's no problem ... a quick Google search looks like this isn't possible but I'm wondering if anyone else knows any different??

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

It is only possible if you are running Windows 7. Media Centre in XP Media Centre Edition and Vista will not Stream .avi files.

You can just stream .avi files though the 360's Video Library and Windows Media Player, or a third party program like PS3 Media Server.

Since I'm idle I'll point you toward Lew's blog where he explains all you need to know about the 360's media capabilities far better than I could http://tehemperorshand.wordpress.com/

fantastic cheers!

if you have windows 7 then media centre will stream near enough everything apart from mkv's, if your using xp media centre then download runtime 360 to your pc and that will give you the option to watch avi on the xbox through media centre but it converts the file on the fly.

For me, once I had linked my Laptop to the 360 using Windows Media Centre..the first time I tried to play an .avi file, the 360 asked me to download the Ipod media item. Once I did this all movies on my Laptop could be streamed via my wireless network to the 360 no problem

[quote user="Farscape247"]

if you have windows 7 then media centre will stream near enough everything apart from mkv's, if your using xp media centre then download runtime 360 to your pc and that will give you the option to watch avi on the xbox through media centre but it converts the file on the fly.

[/quote]FYI mate, just install the latest Divx codec pack and you'll play MKV too via Media Center (Windows 7 only).

Thanks vote, nice one mate.