Is anyone else digging the early releases of movies on Xbox Live Video?

I watched the new Star Trek last week a full three weeks before release on DVD and Blu Ray. Other films release early as well. I for one think it's awesome. People were asking me how I got the movie so early. I think releasing films early for digital download is extremely smart and the person who thought of it should be commended. What a clever way to get people moving towards the future which is digital download. I strongly believe that we will see this trend develop in our games as well. New releases first on digital download. I think this was and still is part of Xbox 1's planning. We are already seeing the trend develop with preorder perks on all platforms. Who would buy a digital copy of a game if it released two or three weeks before physical copy?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

We don't get them nearly as much as the US which is lame but not unsurprising. I've only ever rented/bought one movie on Xbox and that Iron Man years ago. I wish they had some sort of Movie pass kinda like Netflix cause Netflix runs like pants on the Xbox. I did notice Bad Boys 2 is up in HD so I'm tempted to buy it. Oblivion and Iron Man 3 look like the newest released over here

This thread should be in the xbox live forum. As for digital download no i prefer a physical disc they're always cheaper. A game on the marketplace will be full rrp of £49.99 whereas physical it be £37.99 or less.

[quote user="A Frozen Poo"]

This thread should be in the xbox live forum. As for digital download no i prefer a physical disc they're always cheaper. A game on the marketplace will be full rrp of £49.99 whereas physical it be £37.99 or less.

[/quote] Thanks for "reading" my post. Guess you missed the part where I related this practice of releasing titles early being used for Xbox One game releases. Thanks for your opinion though.

I'm going to create a new post

It is a cool trend.  What I think is even cooler is the Pre-Theatrical digital release.  That, kinda just turns everything that we have been accustomed to since the dawn of renting/buying movies on it's head.

-

I'd be interested in knowing the marketing strategy behind this.

Even if a movie or game is released early I highly doubt I'll ever buy one from the Xbox marketplace. The DRM is still too restrictive and they're usually overpriced.

Lol....LeStat....explain to me how the DRM is "still too restrictive"??  Give me a side by side with Sony.  

Why Sony? Who mentioned them? I'm pretty sure I've never bought anything digital from them either, and I seriously doubt I would ever buy movies through the PS3/4.