IP Address trouble

I have tried EVERYTHING. I have set manual ip addresses and dns. It will connect if i hook straight to cable modem, but if hooked to router it goes to a 169.etc ip. I have another xbox on the network and it works fine. like i said i have tried everything, opened ports on router. what else could it be?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

Some routers do not allow 2 or more xboxes to be connected to the same network.

What router do you have?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

linksys. and the other xbox is off when i try

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you tried to manually enter the IP address to the XBOX?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there markmac!

Restore your Llnksys router to factory defaults. Press and hold the reset button (at the back of your router) for 10 seconds.

Visit Linksys website and make sure your router is up-to-date with the very latest version of firmware.

If UPnP is not enabled by default on your router, turn on UPnP. Save and reboot.

Post back and let us know how it goes. 

Sorry this didn't help.

@Malacath Two, three, four or more xboxes can easily communicate with a router on the local network. This is done by a protocol called ARP (Address Resolution Protocol). Devices on a local network communicate through the two address concept. The logical- (IP address) and the physical (MAC address) -address. In this case when an IP address starts with 169 it means that is one of the two failing concepts. The Xbox assign itself a none useable IP address and shout out to any device on the subnet, -Someone, please give me an IP address that i can use (through its MAC address). The only device on the subnet that can provide an IP address using DHCP is the router (in this case). When you say "Some routers do not allow 2 or more xboxes to be connected to the same network" you are partly right. Applications on the Xbox communicate through different ports. So by accessing outside their own subnet with an application that communicate through different port numbers with multiple xboxes connected to the same router, you are right. For this it has to be a capable router with the right type of firmware that can handle two or more xboxes conected to the same router.

Sorry this didn't help.

@taidara

Yes it's possible but certain routers with certain firmware can't do it properly. One xbox will have a strict NAT.

I used to have a Netgear DG834 v3 and for the life of me couldn't get 2 xboxes to work on it no matter what firmware I used.

I gave up in the end and sold it.

But  my current router works fine with 2 xboxes. There is a website that lists the makes of routers and firmware versions that will work with 2 or more xboxes.

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../60-two-xboxes-using-one-router-internet-connection

Sorry this didn't help.