IP ADDRESS MAY HAVE BEEN HACKED, WHAT DO I DO?

HI, MY SON HAS BEEN PLAYING IN A PARTY ON MW3, WHEN SOMEONE THREATENED TO HACK THE IP ADDRESS.  MY SON JUST IGNORED HIM, BUT OUR INTERNET HAS BEEN PLAYING UP ON 5 OCCASIONS TODAY.  IS IT JUST COINCIDENCE OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

Discussion Info

Last updated November 4, 2018 Views 335 Applies to:
[quote user="Z0ExX"]

HI, MY SON HAS BEEN PLAYING IN A PARTY ON MW3, WHEN SOMEONE THREATENED TO HACK THE IP ADDRESS.  MY SON JUST IGNORED HIM, BUT OUR INTERNET HAS BEEN PLAYING UP ON 5 OCCASIONS TODAY.  IS IT JUST COINCIDENCE OR SHOULD I BE WORRIED?

[/quote]Reboot (turn off for over 30 seconds) your modem and router whilst your Xbox is turned off.

Don't forget to file a complaint on the person who threatened ot actually DoS'd you (kicked you offline).

Tell your son not to join pary's with strangers, this type of attack can only happen if your son is either in a game or party with the potential attacker.

I've heard about this type of stuff.  Joining random parties can allow them see your IP through dubious actions and mess it up.  I refuse to join parties with randoms, even friends of friends as I don't know what could be happening on their end.

[quote user="Z0ExX"]WHEN SOMEONE THREATENED TO HACK THE IP ADDRESS[/quote]That's not how The Internet works.[quote]BUT OUR INTERNET HAS BEEN PLAYING UP ON 5 OCCASIONS TODAY.[/quote]Costs $10/month to annoy someone. Contact your ISP.[quote user="Mafivee"]I've heard about this type of stuff.  Joining random parties can allow them see your IP through dubious actions[/quote]If, by dubious actions, you mean the logs on any halfway decent firewall running on a home router.

IP addresses are public information. Due to the peer to peer or client/server nature of 360 gaming it's fairly easy to determine the IP addresses of those one is playing with.

As someone said above, reboot your router, but instead of 30 seconds, leave it off for an hour or so. This will ensure that you get a new ip address. If you only reboot, it will give you the same ip address.

Your public IP address is issued out by the ISP and it's usually leased to you for a certain amount of time. It will renew every time it expires. Sometimes you get the same IP and sometimes you don't.

If you have DSL, then rebooting the router/modem "may" help renew your public IP address.

If you have cable, then reboot the modem followed by your router.

If you are paying for Static IP addresses, then you are out of luck unless you call your ISP and request a new block of IPs.

If need be, contact your ISP and inform them of possible DOS attacks.

I wouldn't worry about it, it's very unlikely that your connection is compromised.

A denial of service attack takes resources, that has a net cost to the perpetrator. Either monetary, bandwidth etc, etc

Chances are its coincidence, the person made an idle threat and as luck would have it your connection is playing up.

Contact your ISP to find out if there are any issues in your area, their technical support will be able to confirm if you are being attacked.  Chances are there's just a fault at your local exchanges