IP Address Error! Help me!

I connect my xbox 360 through ethernet cable to my laptop which is connected through a wireless router. A couple of weeks ago I was able to connect fine, until a few days ago where I was just unable to connect by an ip address error message. I've tried every single one of xbox's support trouble shoots and solutions but none have worked, I looked all over the internet and youtube for tutorials on how I can set it up or how to configure the problem. My ethernet cable is unidentified and can't change it. My wireless router is downstairs and set up to be shared with this computer and ethernet cable but it wont seem to work. I tried changing ip address, manually configuring it through cmd changing the services; DHCP, but yet still no solution. I finding out nothing is working at the moment. The problem is between; Xbox....X.... Network.

Please Help! Cheers.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 28 Applies to:

Hey there Boyerz, sorry to hear about the connection issue! Okay, it sounds like you've tried a lot, but I'm curious - have you tried manually re-configuring your network connection again, from scratch? If not, I suggest doing so, using the steps in this guide. Let us know how that goes! :-)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey, cheers for the assistance tried both and neither worked, but I've recently found out that the crossover ethernet cable I am using hasn't got DHCP enabled (DHCP Enable;  No) so have you got any suggestions on how to change that to yes. I've looked at tutorials and fooled the steps but doesn't seem like its doing anything.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

If you have tried the Microsoft one already:-

support.xbox.com/.../win-computer (Microsoft Official Guide)

Please try mine:-

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../ics-bridging-guide (Unofficial Guide if you are still struggling)

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I tried all that but it started messing up with other computers in the house. So I deleted the connection bridge. But i think I just need to find out how to enable the DHCP on my crossover ethernet cable. Cheers for the help anyway :)

Sorry this didn't help.

There's no such thing as enabling DHCP on a crossover I'm afraid. Are you sure you've tried the second link it covers bridging and ICS in detail and the IP address error and causes

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you sure, because it has to be enabled for the ip addresses to be sent through surely? but it keeps on saying that the DHCP isnt enabled for it, where as if i go on my sister's computer it is...?

Sorry this didn't help.

I mean the term isn't right. You don't enable it on a crossover cable. You can have DHCP on or off an yes it does issue ip addresses, on XP for example it doesn't work very well on ICS and it is better to use a static ip address instead.

You don't say what Operating system you are using, all of this stuff is covered in the guide I pointed you to and other reasons for ip address failed (like firewall issues, incorrectly sharing the wrong adapter etc)

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh sorry, I'm using windows vista. But when i go on the services (through search bar in programs) it says it is automatic and working fine? so i don't get what the problem is? "/

Sorry this didn't help.

Like I say there are quite a few reasons for ip address to fail depending on whether you are using Bridging or ICS , and whether you have a firewall, its unlikely to be DHCP related on Vista

Sorry this didn't help.

Right... I am using ICS but i tried bridging the connection and that didnt work at all. And i do have firewall on. So should that be off?

Sorry this didn't help.