Investigating wrong WLID?

I have been working with phone support for the issues with my account for the last 52 days, and have still not had resolution. I was hoping to possibly get some help in the forums.

Here is what has happened:
On May 8th, I found I was unable to sign in to Xbox LIVE, I received an error message that my credentials were invalid. I was unsuccessful in trying to recover my account. I made a few calls to support thinking I had simply forgotten my password. The WLID associated with my gamertag at that time was a hotmail account that I had not used in quite some time, so this didn't seem too out of the ordinary. I ended up having to fill out a form and post in a private forum about details of the hotmail account so that I could be verified as the owner.
This same night, when my wife logged in to her gamertag, I noticed that my avatar appeared to be online, and playing a game that I did not own. I immediately called phone support back to report the unauthorized access, while I was on the line, my wife discovered that there had been two fairly large charges made to my debit card from the xbox. I reported this as well and cancelled the cards that were saved to the account. I also found out that the offender had migrated my gamertag to Brazil.
The next day, I got a response to the forum I had filled out regarding my hotmail account. I was verified as the owner, and was sent a link to reset my password. I did reset my password, changed my secret question, and removed an alternate email address that had been added. Using the new password, I recovered the gamertag to my console, and then moved it to a new WLID that I had made that day.
I now have control of the account, but am no longer receiving content for the USA - I have no Netflix, no Inside Xbox, no Video or Music Marketplaces. The channels I do have are presented in Portugese, which I cannot read.
I reported this to phone support, the issue was escalated, and have been in contact with several people who were/are trying to remedy the situation. On June 10th I made a call where I was told that my gamertag was corrupt, and I would just have to make a new one. I had a hard time believing this, and also expressed concern regarding DLC I had accumulated on that gamertag. I was transferred to another representative, who re-escalated my issue. I have been told that since then, my account has been locked and is being investigated. However, the WLID that is locked is the old hotmail account that is no longer associated with the gamertag. I am still able to log in using the new WLID, and was actually able to sign in to Xbox LIVE on my console this morning, as well as post this here now.

My concerns at the moment are:
Is the wrong WLID being investigated? Is this why I'm being told it is corrupt?
My bank has yet to be reimbursed for the disputed charges. Is this being worked on?

I have had a hard time trying to use phone support to get updates. It seems that most times I call, I have to recount the entire situation and it sounds like a new SR is being created. Ideally, I would like to start some correspondence, phone, email, or otherwise with someone that I can explain the details to, or get an update on what is being done. 

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Where did you have to post in a forum about your WLID? I've never heard of anyone having to do this with a compromised account or missing credentials before. My fear is that this was as phishing tactic to get you to reveal your information to the person(s) who compromised your account.

Unfortunately we aren't set up to handle issue relating to account safety and security here on the forums. I'd advise you to keep in contact with phone support, checking in as often as you need to. I hope they are able to help you sort out your issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The second call I made on May 8th to 1-800-4MYXBOX was an attempt to reset my hotmail account password. I was unable to do this online, because I was getting my secret question answer wrong (I believe it was changed by the person that got control of the account). The rep on the phone, who I believe was named Maria, said she was opening a forum for me to fill out details on my hotmail account, I was given a PIN number over the phone that would allow me to access it. I then received an email from the address "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***", that contained a link to that forum. I filled out what was asked of me, and the next day I was sent an email from that same address telling me that they were able to validate my account information and that I would be receiving a password reset link in a separate email. That email did arrive, addressed from "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***", and did contain a password reset link - which did reset my hotmail password.

I don't believe this was a phishing attempt - if it was, it was perpetrated by an Xbox LIVE support employee. It also happened after I had already lost control of the account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Odd, I've never heard of XBL support staff doing that or indeed covering for the Hotmail boffins either.

Sorry this didn't help.

That is pretty unsettling. This whole mess has been my first experience with Xbox LIVE support, so I didn't know if that was out of the ordinary or not. If you have the ability to look it up, that interaction did have an SR number associated with it, and phone reps I have spoken to since have confirmed that notes were made for that call.

Sorry this didn't help.

did you fill out the windows live id validation form?

that would be the password reset proccess connected to the windows live help forums

as long as it is a private forum at the windowslivehelp.com which is the windows live team which deals with forgoten passwords and invalid email cases in the worst case

incase you cannot reset via an outdated or expired email or the no secret question secret answer

that forums is set up so you can provide further info on incase you do not meet the first requires of validation

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, it was a forum at windowslivehelp.com. Glad to know that was legitimate.

I am curious: having just read through the forums last night and today, it seems like unauthorized access followed by MS point purchases followed by region migration is something that is happening to people with some frequency, but I have not once heard of a fraudulent migration being successfully reversed. Has anyone had this issue resolved?

Sorry this didn't help.

There's a few of those "oh my account was stolen/hacked" stories you have to take with a pinch of salt. A lot of them fell for the ol' "I can get you 10th prestige, I just need your log in details" trick and just don't want to admit it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, I realize that not everyone is very forthcoming in the "I got hacked" type posts.

I know you don't have any reason to believe me, but that is not the case in my situation. My suspicion is that this was the result of having a "weak" password that I didn't bother to change frequently, but I'm not sure.

In any event, it would be a relief to see a post where this had happened to someone, and they actually got their account back to normal. I would also be curious how long that process takes, because it has been quite a while for me.

Anyway, to get back on track to my original question-

Supposedly there is an investigation team looking into my account right now, and have been since at least June 10th. My hotmail account is currently locked as a result of this. Shouldn't the WLID that is associated with my gamertag be the one that gets locked and investigated?.

Sorry this didn't help.

No if the windows live I'd was changed then your gamertag is no longer associated with the gamertag . Only the windows live associated with the gamertag would be locked . Your password would be still changed . Usually when a account is compromised they change the windows live ID to make it harder for you to recover

Sorry this didn't help.

That is what is odd then. This gamertag that I am posting with is the gamertag in question.

After I successfully used the forum tool I mentioned earlier, I recovered the gamertag to my console myself and then associated it with a new LIVE ID that I had just made that day. Now that the investigation is happening, the LIVE ID that is locked is the old hotmail one. Would this explain why I got told my account appears to be corrupt?

Sorry this didn't help.