Internet Connectivity Issues

What Country/State/Province do you live in? United States
Modem brand & model number:
  Don't have anything on this pretty sure it's a Netgear modem with wireless routing capabilities.

Now the problem...

The problem with my connection is that it keeps having these, jumps in connection. While I'm playing a game on Xbox Live mainly Call of Duty, I seem to have major jumps in the connection through the entire day with a very laggy performance even when it says my connection is good. On COD you can see how many bars of connection you have towards the Host, I'm usually always 4 to 3 bars which is good, but it will frequently jump from 4 to 2 quickly, every few minutes atleast. While I'm playing sometimes everything will just stop, people will run in place and before you know it when the connection catches back up I'm somewhere else and everyone has moved who knows where, major lag spikes like that. There's nothing wrong with my Internet Connection from what I can tell but with problems like that there has to be an issue. I haven't had NAT issues and everything is plugged up how it should be, securely. Any advice?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Apparently my post didn't appare fully. Though I may have found the Problem, I checked my Router Logs and saw reports of DoS attacks on multiple occasions the past few days.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

We really need to know the model of Netgear modem it should be printed on a sticker underneath, I'm assuming your are a DSL customer and not cable?

Don't worry about those DoS attacks messages if they are on port 3074 its just the Netgear seeing lots of Xbox live traffic and assuming its an attack.

Are you wired or wireless? And can you run this a few times, when it lags if possible:-

www.pingtest.net

And post a link to the results of the test(s)

Sorry this didn't help.

My first post had more information on it but once I get the info again I'll post it here. I'm on Cable not DSL cause my company for internet is Time Warner Cable and the DoS attacks aren't on Port 3074 it's on Port 88.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well, that's probably why you're experiencing the lag. Port 88 is used by Xbox live (UDP), and not TCP. I'm going to assume that the TCP is used for the text and voice communication (that would be port 3047), whereas the port 88 is used for the actual gameplay. There's a whole science behind it, and if you'd like to read it for yourself, take a look at this article:

gafferongames.com/.../udp-vs-tcp

But like you said, if your getting DoS attacks on port 88, then it's no wonder that you're getting lag. It's a wonder you're still able to play! Hope this helps and enjoy the rest of your day.

Sorry this didn't help.

Again the attacks will be being misreported, 88 is Xbox live traffic it will be seeing a lot of this traffic and assuming its an attack

Sorry this didn't help.