Internet Connection Sharing

I connect to xbox live by connecting xbox to laptop via ethernet and share the laptop's internet connection using internet connection sharing in Windows 7 Home Premium on my HP Pavilion dv6 laptop.  This has worked perfectly until now when the xbox is unable to make any connection to the internet and xbox live. I can connect to the internet on my laptop using the public network provided by the landlord for the whole apartment building, using a 3G dongle and using my iPhone as a wi-fi hotspot - all of these have worked in the past for accessing xbox live.

The messages I get from xbox on testing the connection include:

- can't connect to network hardware using a static IP address (nothing is using a static IP address, all connections are set to automatic).

- turn your router off and wait 30 seconds (I have no router as I am using internet connection sharing).

- can't obtain IP address from your router or modem.

- your router or modem is assigning IP addresses automatically try a static IP address instead (despite the message above telling me not to do this, I have set the network settings on the xbox to match those in the support pages for internet connection sharing - no connection resulted).

I have tried to create a network bridge but this results in a connection to xbox live which does not allow online gaming or access to any of xbox live useful features - whether I connect to the public wi-fi network, use the iPhone as a hotspot, or connect to internet with the 3G dongle. 

I have also created a home network and shared my internet connection with it.  The xbox can connect to the home network but still cannot connect to the internet or xbox live.  I tested the home network with my iPhone and this could access the internet with no problems.

I also have an old laptop running Windows XP and internet connection sharing does exactly the same as above.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 79 Applies to:

Hi,

Please look at one or both of these guides for help on this set-up:-

support.microsoft.com/.../978618

www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/xbox-ics-bridging-guide

Thanks

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you Shad0wmanUK.  The guide was really useful and by carefully following the instructions and turning off my firewall I got access working again within 10 mins.  I knew it must be something simple but when frustrated you can easily look over the simple things.

Sorry this didn't help.

No problem :) obviously it would be best to be able to keep the firewall on and let the Xbox live traffic through, hopefully the firewall vendor can provide tips on that as its different for every firewall really.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm trying to connect to xbox live using a dongle that's connected to my laptop and an ethernet cable between the xbox and my laptop. When I test the connection it keeps saying, there's a problem with your network and when I click more info it says 'IP Address error'. I have changed the settings to shared but nothing is working.

Can anyone help?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You should really start your own post but, did you try the links I posted?

Sorry this didn't help.