Internal Hard Drive E 86

A couple of days ago, when turning my Xbox off, it took a minute to shut down and was making a very faint beeping noise. When I started it up that night, it gave me the E 86 error message. After looking at the Xbox Support articles, I decided to test out the issue by unplugging both my USB flash drive, and my internal hard drive. When started with nothing plugged in, the Xbox booted fine; when started with just the USB plugged in, it booted fine. When I started it with just the internal hard drive plugged in, it gave me the E 86 error message. So, what exactly do I do about this? Am I stuck consuming the money spent on an internal hard drive? If so, is there any way to retrieve the data off of the defunct hard drive?

Details: It's an Xbox 360 S, purchased new, never dropped, has good ventilation (so far as I can tell), has never had anything spilled in/on it, is about two and a half years old, was purchased from Target. Hard drive is a 320 gig internal hard drive, was purchased new, has only been used in this Xbox, is roughly a year or so old, was purchased at GameStop.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 54 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I realise you have tried the obvious ones, but it never hurts to reiterate the recommended steps. It may be that getting a warranty repair is the step you need to take next I'm afraid....

Try the following steps:

1. Disconnect and reconnect all accessories.
  2. Remove the hard drive.
  3. Remove any USB flash drives.

If these steps don’t resolve the issue, you’ll need to request a repair.Sign in to request a repair or learn more about how to get your console repaired.

Repair or warranty questions? See Xbox 360 repair: Frequently asked questions.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

"After looking at the Xbox Support articles, I decided to test out the issue by unplugging both my USB flash drive, and my internal hard drive."

I already did the suggested steps; that's why I'm guessing it's my internal hard drive giving the E 86. I'm tentatively planning on taking my internal hard drive into GameStop (being as that's where it was bought) and sort of asking them if they know something I don't.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Scribe,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your hard drive.

Since the problem persists only with the hard drive attached, I would recommend that you order a new Xbox 360 Hard Drive from our Xbox Online Service Center (sign in with your Microsoft account).

If you bought your hard drive a year ago it will be out of warranty (90 days on new Hard Drives).  If you have your receipt, you may want to try taking it to that Gamestop you bought it at and seeing if they might be able to do an exchange or refund.

Please keep us posted on how things go. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry it took me so long to get back around to replying. Well, basically the fellow at GameStop told me what I was fearing: it's toast. I got some unofficial advice on a chance to recover my data, but that was all he could really do. I don't really want to send it in for repairs, because I'm pretty sure there'd be a charge for it, and...well, I'm not too pleased that I paid $130.00 and only got a year and a half of use out of it.

Sorry this didn't help.

well it's toast if it is an E74 but the hard drive looks like it dead but if you did use a credit card it adds a another year of warranty so it should be ok

also (some one say "toast"? now im hungry)  :D

hope that helps :)

Computer person... also a Mopar technician.
CEO of Independent LLC

Sorry this didn't help.

What's the difference between E 74 and E 86? Also, how does using a credit card add another year of warranty?

Sorry this didn't help.

E 74 is a really bad (blue screen reference) error witch makes it were you cant use your xbox at all

and about the credit card my dad's Visa credit card automatically adds another year (most credit cards do that, some dont)

also what mister fizsle  said that Microsoft will give you an 90 day extenuation of your warranty

hope that helps:)

Computer person... also a Mopar technician.
CEO of Independent LLC

Sorry this didn't help.

It would seem my removable hard drive doing nothing but giving me an E 86 is bad enough. My Xbox only has about 4 GB of memory on its own, and refuses to download DLC's off of discs (such as Fallout 3's Game of the Year Edition) until I get an actual hard drive. Also, I bought said hard drive with a Visa, and the employee at GameStop told me the warranty was gone whilst looking at my receipt. Mister Fizzle said, "If you bought your hard drive a year ago it will be out of warranty (90 days on new Hard Drives)." That would lead me to believe my warranty is dead.

So, can anyone tell me which is the serial number on a hard drive? Is it the number above or below the bar code? The only answers I could find on Xbox Support just tell me where to find serial numbers on consoles.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Scribe!

The hard drive serial number is below the bar code (the number with smaller font).

I hope that helps clear things up! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.

I was fairly sure it was that number. However, when I try to input this as the serial number in the Service Center, the number of characters is too long; I'm left with three numbers at the end I can't put in the box.

Sorry this didn't help.