Intermittent lag on right stick.

I have a new (2 months old) Xbox.  Recently (Since Black Ops 2) it occasionally has a lag, noticeable primarily on the right stick.  

The intermittent part is that it either works correctly when I first turn it on or it doesn't.  Sometimes I'll go several days with proper operation and then other times I have to turn the console off and wait 15-30 minutes before coming back and it will work correctly.  

I have never been able to just cycle the console off and back on and have it work correctly.  It only "fixes" itself if I leave it off for a time.  I've tried changing batteries, re-pairing the controller with the console, cycled just the controller off/on, and I even purchased a new controller thinking there must be something wrong with the original.  Nothing seems to make a difference.  

Turning it off and waiting is the only thing that usually fixes it.  I say usually because sometimes waiting 15-30 minutes doesn't correct the problem.  I've had entire Saturday's where I've checked it occasionally and it never worked correctly then on Sunday it has worked through three or four separate uses throughout the day. 

Very frustrating.  I only play Black Ops 2.  It's the same TV.  I've tried all the TV things that everyone always suggests for controller lag but that is not what I'm experiencing. 

Any suggestions? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 40 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Still good.  Apparently it was the Tv.  Go figure.  

Thanks for all the help.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds good Nadar. Keep us posted!

Sorry this didn't help.

I bought another TV.  A Sharp 60" and so far so good.  I'll report back after a few days but we are 2 days in and it's been fine.  I've never gone more than 2-3 days without the problem showing up.  

Sorry this didn't help.

What the heck!  This is very mysterious indeed, thanks again for keeping us updated- just wondering, have you tried a different connection to the TV? Like using a HD Composite connection instead of HDMI or vice-a-versa?  And you've tried reinstalling the game itself to your system?

Sorry this didn't help.

Another update.

I bought another console and this new one does the same thing.

I'm starting to suspect some issue with the Xbox/tv combo. It's a 60" Visio LCD that I bought a couple months ago. I've changed all of the tv's "game" and "motion blur" etc settings and none of them seem to make any difference.

I am going to buy a different tv today and try that out.

Basically, I've changed everything but the tv and the problem has persisted. The intermittent part is what has me confused. I would expect it to either work correctly all the time or never work correctly.

I had an Xbox playing friend come over and had him try it just to make sure I'm not imagining things. He said it definitely isn't my imagination.

Any thoughts?

Sorry this didn't help.

I gave the controllers to my friend and they worked correctly for him.

So the wired and wireless controllers both are doing this. Apparently i was just on a good rotation with the wired controller. Over the last couple weeks it hasnt been any better at all. There isn't any discernible pattern that I can see. I've tried unplugging everything and then turning the console on by its button then plugging the controller in without any other accessories plugged in at all.

Is it possible that something in the console itself is causing this?  I'm willing to go buy another console to try but it's non-returnable which means if it doesn't work, I'll be selling a console on eBay for 70 cents on the dollar.  

It seems to be, through process of elimination, the console.

Is there some master reset that might be worth tryin?. I'm extremely frustrated.

Sorry this didn't help.

They are both official controllers.  

I will give them to a friend to use for a while and see if it happens on his console.  

Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Ney Nadar, thanks for the update!  Honestly, at this point, we've been through all the troubleshooting for wireless accessories (removing the third party headset from the system is another thing I would have suggested.)  I just want to confirm- both of the other controllers you have tried were official ones, yeah? If they are, it would be worth it to try them with a different console just to make 100% sure.  However, it's sounding like either a repair or sticking to wired controllers may be your best bet.

Sorry this didn't help.

It's only been 2 days but through multiple uses, the problem has not reappeared with the corded controller. I went back to the cordless and the intermittent problem is still there.

So, it seems to be a cordless controller issue that spans a 2 month old controller and a brand new cordless controller.

What now?  I don't want to just say "Stick to corded controllers".  There has to be a fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

It happens in mw3 as well.

My Turtle Beach headphones are the only accessory I have. Removing it doesn't prevent it from happening.

I ordered a wired scuff controller and it will be here today. We will see if the wired part affects this problem.

Thanks for the help so far.

Sorry this didn't help.