Intermittent audio/video issues

The problem usually begins with either the audio briefly cutting out, or the screen will quickly flicker with a green tinge to it.  Sometimes it goes no further than that.  Other times the audio will completely cut out, or the video will die completely and just alternate between black screen and a screen of snow.  At that point the only way I can get it back is to do a full reboot. 

I've tried the different hdmi ports on the tv and it happens regardless.  I don't have another hdmi cable so I haven't tried swapping that out yet.  Could that be it, or is it more likely to be the console itself? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 60 Applies to:

Hey there Swissie! I'm sorry to hear about the AV issues. Let's see what we can do to get things sorted.

To start off, here's a few questions for you to help us better understand the situation:

1. Does this happen when you're playing games?
  2. Does this happen when you're watching DVDs/Blu-Rays?
  3. Do you have a friend or family member with an HDMI cable that wouldn't mind letting you try using their cable? That would be a quick test just to see if the performance improves.

Hit us back with that info and we'll see what we can do to assist! ^_^

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Not to threadjack but I'm having similar issues. Happens with games, Blu-Rays, TV, etc. I've tried switching out HDMI cables and that hasn't helped. I've also experienced a couple of loud pops through my speakers.

Sorry this didn't help.

So I tried another HDMI cable yesterday and today.  Still getting the same occasional flicker of green tint and audio cutout.  Happens during both games and Blu-rays.  I haven't had the complete loss of sound or video with this cable yet, but it's only been two days.  

Sorry this didn't help.

Make sure that no other devices have this same error on your TV.. try another device with your same cord if you can..  Make sure the cord does not appear damaged at the ends or smashed , creased in the middle.

Support would  likely have you empty your system cach on your console.  Power off your console while holding the power button litley for 30 sec.  uplug all accessories out of the back of the console.  Let the console sit for 3 min thus completely removing all files from the cach memory of the system.

That's how you do it.  If corrupt files develop in the cach they could cause issues.

If no other devices are giving you video errors  on your TV and flushing sytem cach don't work.  this must be a console defect and will require to be sent in for repairs.    

Sorry this didn't help.

Cleared cache, problem returned.  Continued playing games until the audio completely cut out.  On a whim I decided to just turn the TV off and on when that happened.  The audio came back.  I played some more until the video completely cut out.  Again, turned the TV off and on and the video came back.

At this point I thought maybe it's the TV (2007 Samsung LCD).  Looked it up and it did indeed have some HDMI handshake issues back in the day.  Installed the latest firmware, but the issue remains.  Hooked the HDMI cable to my DVD player, played a couple of movies - no issues. 

At this point, I assume I need to send in the console?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Swissie!

Do you have access to another TV that you can try your console on? It does sound like the HDMI port on your console may be in need of a repair, but I'm curious to see how it would behave with another TV.

Let us know if you're able to try that and we'll be standing by to hear back from you! ^_^

Sorry this didn't help.