Interesting Gamertag is taken but doesn't exist

Hello. I have found the perfect gamertag (and it's original) that fits me. However, when I try to change my tag, it comes back as "this gamertag is in use." Interestingly enough, xbox.com says the gamertag is invalid. The only explanation is that it used to be someone's Zune account. I am requesting assistance to look into this gamertag in hopes of possible retiring it for me so I can change my gamertag. I would prefer if I could be contacted on a more personal level (through e-mail or private messaging) so that it doesn't become taken once it's retired. My e-mail address is *** Email address is removed for privacy ***; this is the e-mail that is currently associated with my "knock-off" version of my desired gamertag. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 319 Applies to:

I don't, that's why I need assistance from Microsoft staff.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

How do you know, if it is a Zune tag, that the person isn't using it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Alright. This helped alot. Does anyone know if once a gamertag becomes available after someone changes it? And if a moderator sees this, can they remove my e-mail address from my post?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the gamertag change request says the gamertag is taken, it is taken. Have you tried every spacing variant when looking for it? For example, you are Iron5hock, so nobody could change their gamertag to Iron 5hock (with a space), but if I tried to (for example) send a friend request to the one with a space it wouldn't work.

The Support staff do not take gamertag requests. And you should never post your email address in a public forum-- I expect that the bad element will now be trying to recover your profile by guessing the password.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Iron5hock"]

Alright. This helped alot. Does anyone know if once a gamertag becomes available after someone changes it? And if a moderator sees this, can they remove my e-mail address from my post?

[/quote]

Yes if you change the gamertag, it becomes available for someone else to use it, unless it was a Forced Name Change, in which case it will not become available.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Iron5hock"]

I don't, that's why I need assistance from Microsoft staff.

[/quote]This is a direct quote from a sticky written by a Xbox Support staff member (Gamertag: Mister Gwyther)

[quote]I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
Just because you can't friend request a GT doesn't mean it is available. First of all, all GT are tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. Also, spaces and capitalization are not considered when looking for available GTs. For example, "Major Nelson" is the same as "MajorNelson" is the same as "MaJoR nElSoN". Basically if the service says the GT isn't available, it isn't available.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?
There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available. [/quote]http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/p/19165/121234.aspx#gt

If you are trying to get "Iron Shock", that name is taken by an Xbox 360 (not original Xbox) account http://live.xbox.com/MyXbox/Profile?Gamertag=Iron%20Shock

Sorry this didn't help.