Insurgent Blu-ray Disc Recognize Problems

Anyone having trouble with the Insurgent Blu-ray disc (this one's from Target, the 2D special edition, but possibly any copies from any retail outlet)?  My Xbox One fails to recognize the disc 50% of the time I insert it in the drive.  This is a refurbished console in replacement of my original first-revision Xbox One console purchased about a month after launch.  So I've been through the Blu-ray drive disc recognize failure thing before, and had to have the console replaced.  It was a slow fail, would sometimes not recognize game discs and Blu-ray movies, then often wouldn't recognize them, then started up with those very loud unmistakable grinding noises.  But it started not recognizing game discs in general and Blu-rays in general.  This time around, I tested a game disc, recognized no problem, and multiply tested another Blu-ray movie, recognized that other movie every single time I inserted the disc.  Switch back to the Insurgent Blu-ray, multiply test it, fails to recognize 50% of disc inserts.

I can't figure out if it's just this movie's Blu-ray disc run or this particular disc, or this is the beginning of the Blu-ray drive failing all over again.  Going to call support when they open, but thought I'd check and see if anyone is having problem with this Insurgent Blu-ray movie in particular, but not others, not game discs.  (I don't know it matters, as it's a separate read laser, but it also recognized the included DVD version of the movie just fine.)

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 74 Applies to:

Hi Monty Airline, 

Sorry you're having issues with your movie being recognized. Do you by chance have another Blu-ray player to test the movie with? If it has issues in other players, then it's likely something wrong with the disc itself that came from the manufacturer. Also, as every other Blu-ray and game disc you have plays with no issues that usually is a sign of just a bad movie. Now if you were having issues with other Blu-ray discs reading in the console, then that could be a sign of something else. 

That said, it could be an issue with the Blu-ray cache. To clear this, press "menu" from your home screen,. then select settings. Select "Disc & Blu-ray", then select Blu-ray settings. Here clear the Persistent Storage. Reboot the console and see if the movie is still having issues playing. 

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So far it's only the one movie.  The movie not only is recognized right off on other Blu-ray players, it's recognized right off on my sons' Day One Xbox One console.  However, so far it's just this one movie.  Games I tested a couple times and another Blu-ray movie I tested about times, they're recognized immediately.  But that's how my bad optical disc drive problem started the first time with my original Xbox One.  Then it just got worse over time until 9 of 10 times the drive would recognize no discs, game or Blu-ray movie, and began making loud gear-grinding noises.  However, I will try clearing the Blu-ray cache and see if it seems to help.

I'll report back in a bit.

Sorry this didn't help.

Clear Persistent Storage and restart didn't work.  Still wouldn't recognize Insurgent.  Discovered it also intermittently won't recognize Interstellar.  I haven't exactly gone through my whole game and Blu-ray movie library, but so far ALL games are immediately recognized, and MOST Blu-ray movies are immediately recognized.  Seems most or all DVDs are recognized,too  Insurgent is the worst, almost never recognized first time.  Trying multiple times, Insurgent and Interstellar are eventually recognizing.  Holding either of the trouble Blu-ray movie discs back a brief moment before letting the auto-inject mechanism take it into the drive, that seems to cause immediate recognition every time.  So I have a reliable workaround right now, and so far games aren't affected.  I'm just concerned as I've had an Xbox One optical drive fail before, and this is pretty much how it started.  That was under warranty, took 5 weeks to get it back, though the repair was free.  This time I have to pay.  It's not an outlandish repair fee; in fact, it's quite reasonable.  If this were a different repair issue I wouldn't be so annoyed, but the same issue twice in about six months, having to pay the second time and again wait weeks for return of repaired unit or refurbished replacement unit, well, it's pretty frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

Okay I spent time testing Blu-ray movies after I read that it's not the original disc gear grinding issue, but a different issue in which the auto-inject intermittently can't properly seat the Blu-ray on the spindle in the internal tray and, Blu-ray being very picky, it can't recognize the disc.  That made sense but I figured it should be intermittent, but intermittently all games and Blu-ray movies.  So I started going through my Blu-ray movies, looking hard at the discs.  I found one more that wasn't consistently recognized:  Elysium.  Insurgent, Interstellar and Elysium all had one thing in common:  the disc spindle holes weren't cleanly formed; they're irregular.  If I insert Insurgent upside down, where the spindle hole is smoother, it's recognized every single time.  If I insert Interstellar sideways, with the side the spindle hole is smoother toward the drive, it's recognized every single time.  I think it's the irregular spindle holes that prevent proper seating on the spindle, and therefore failed recognition.  I couldn't find any games with irregular spindle holes -- most game discs are probably manufactured to a quality higher standard as fault tolerance with game discs is likely lower still -- so I couldn't find any games that weren't recognized that I could test.  This still doesn't directly explain why Insurgent worked on my sons' Day One Xbox One twice in a row no problem -- unless I just got lucky -- or why the same discs are immediately recognized by other auto-inject Blu-ray players.  But it's reasonable to speculate that particular drive in my particular Xbox One is just less tolerant of physical disc flaws.  Could be motor strength, calibration, dust on the Blu-ray lens, just because, whatever.  Anyway, thanks for your help.  Over time the condition may degrade to the point I have to send in the console for repair or replacement, or it may go work fine indefinitely, and if I have a few movies or games that aren't immediately recognized, I just look for spindle hole flaws and insert the disc in the console, leading with an unflawed side.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there,

If the discs only read by altering the way you insert it, and it's a refurbished you received recently I would contact support at the link below to see what options you have for hardware replacement.

support.xbox.com/contact-us

MCP. MCDST. LVL 80

Sorry this didn't help.