Installing Games

I am not having any problems installing games but I have a question that I wonder if anyone here can answer.

My internet caps me at 350 gigs per month. If  I go over there is a fee. Its really lame an stupid but I can't do anything about it. Generally I never have had issues with coming close to my cap until I purchased my Xbox One. Now I have downloaded quite a few digital games since getting the Xbox One so I imagine most of my usage is from the 20-30 gig games I've downloaded.

My question is when I purchase a game by buying the disc and start to install the game, does the game install completely from the disc? Or is it downloading it as well?  I hope this isn't the case. If I have a disc in the drive it should just install completely off the disc with the exception of any initial updates to the game of course over Xbox Live.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:
Answer

Yes updates download as well.

But 350GB is a lot and I think I have only ever gone over that once when I first had my xbox 1.

I currently average around 255GB a month.

Before I had my xbox one I averaged around 116GB a month. Probably because I watch a lot of Netflix. Since getting my xbox 1 it gone up to 255GB a month.

If you do have a 350GB limit I would suggest that you don't use instant on mode as that downloads updates automatically even if you haven't played a game in a while. Some updates are massive.

Your best bet is to use energy saving mode so that you only download updates as needed.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

It installs the whole disc only if there are no updates.

If there are updates then it will pull the updated files off the internet as the game is installed.

Dead rising 3 for instance downloads 12GB while installing even though the game is only about 20GB on disc.

So the only time the whole disc is installed without downloading anything is if there are no updates available.

You can avoid this by disconnecting your console from the internet before installing a disc. This will let the whole disc install without downloading anything. Problem is that next time you connect it will insist on downloading the update anyway.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.