Installing game restarts Xbox during installation process

Whenever I try to install a game to my hard drive, my Xbox will restart during the process. I have a new Xbox 360 slim 4 gb model, but I purchased the 250 gb hard drive off of amazon a couple months ago. The 250 gb hard drive was brand new and Microsoft branded. When I install my game to the 250 gb hard drive it starts to install, and when it gets to around 20-75% done my console will restart and not finish the install. I go into my system storage then, and it says that the game install is corrupt, so I delete the corrupt file and then start the installation again. I either have to try this multiple times for it to finally install completely, or sometimes it just will not even complete. Some games that I install will install 100% with out restarting at all, but that only happens sometimes if I am lucky. Does anybody know why this happens, or if there is a way to fix this so I don't have to wait countless times for a game to install completely?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

Take a look at this link it may be of help to yourself support.microsoft.com/.../960173

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have the exact same issue. I bought a harddrive for a 4GB console and the Xbox resets whenever my 250GB harddrive has around 158 GB left. It is independent of whether I'm trying to install a game or download content from Xbox Live. I cleared the cache and even formatted the harddrive (and lost my Xbox 1 gamesaves in the process), but the issue still persists.

I don't know if the harddrive is just defective or if there's a problem with my console. I just can't use over half the HDD's storage space or the console will reset if I try.

Is there anything I can do that wouldn't take replacing the harddrive?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea, I still consistently have this problem.  It sucks that when my harddrive gets to around 150gb left, everything goes to *** and my xbox constantly will restart when starting it up.  I take out the 250gb hard drive to blow it out and re insert it.  It will still restart so I have to quickly delete some intalled games  to free up some space.  I have no idea why this happens, but it pisses me off.

I would like some help with this problem, or let me know what I can do to stop having this issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey SuperSpongeRoo, sorry your having this problem. I know how annoying it can be to have things fail and not work as they should. To me it sounds like there is an actual problem with the hard drive itself. You may need to get a new hard drive for your xbox. If you go here you can order a replacement for a new hard drive. Has this happened the whole time you've had your drive?

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="SuperSpongeRoo"] I have no idea why this happens, but it pisses me off.

I would like some help with this problem, or let me know what I can do to stop having this issue.[/quote]You originally posted in February. It's now June. Unless you bought the drive outside the USA where they have better consumer protection laws, there's nothing you can do.

What you should have done is RMA'ed the drive when it started giving you problems. Accessory drives have a 90 day warranty. By now that warranty has expired.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yea this has happened the whole time i have had my drive and I sometimes it would work and then sometimes it wouldn't work.  So I guess I didn't realize that I should of actually returned it and gotten a new one, but since it was working at some points I would give it a chance.  

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problem too, but i just only knew it just now after i tried to install my newly bought game, my xbox just restarts right in the middle of the installation its just so unfair because im out of warranty(replacement) and i cant do anything about it, i dont have anymore money to buy another hard drive, and my hard drive(250gb) is new i just bought it 3 months ago same with my xbox 360 4g T_T is there any solution to this problem? i dont want to play my game on disc every day because i will sell it when i got tired of playing it, why just why!?!? and this hard drive of mine came from a trusted store i dont believe its fake though when it reaches 178gb it doesnt accept anymore installations and the xbox will restart.... so its like my hard drive capacity is only in 72gig? whuuuut the...  

Sorry this didn't help.