installed games on old console, safe to delete? can i just install from disc again on new console?

hi dumb question but ive just noticed that after using the hdd transfer kit from MS that i still have some games listed on the console the file sizes look about right for installed to disk. and i think it even says installed xbox 360 game when you go under storage for each one. 

it says underneath that you can not earn achievements / use this etc if i don't own the item. do i need to manually copy these files via usb stick and add them to my new console or can i just whack in the game disk and install them to hdd on the new console and everything will be hunky dory?

i dont want to just delete them and then format my old hdd and find out i can not install my (those) games to the new xbox hdd because i didn't transfer something! that wouldn't surprise me these days ><

i used the official transfer kit and i think i may have even done the drm transfer thingy-ma-bob. but i need to be sure!

the old console is being sold sunday night / monday morning so i dont want to give them anything either thus im planning on formatting its hdd. hopefully that will remove EVERYTHING even in the consoles memory.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Just install your games onto your new HDD and you should be able to play them like you normally would.

I don't think you need to transfer them from your old HDD to new one if you just install from disc's :)

[quote user="ColdEagle86"]hi dumb question but ive just noticed that after using the hdd transfer kit from MS that i still have some games listed on the console the file sizes look about right for installed to disk. and i think it even says installed xbox 360 game when you go under storage for each one. 

it says underneath that you can not earn achievements / use this etc if i don't own the item. do i need to manually copy these files via usb stick and add them to my new console or can i just whack in the game disk and install them to hdd on the new console and everything will be hunky dory?[/quote]Your description sounds like you're confusing installed games and save game files.

The transfer software built into the console will not move games installed from DVD. The old disc-based software will. If you used the console to do the transfer, no installed games should have transferred (6-7GB in size). If you used the disc, then the installed games were transferred. Unfortunately. games installed from DVD cannot be Moved between storage devices, let alone consoles. They'll have to be deleted (just the install file, not the saves and profiles).

Nicky thanks thats all i needed to know.

IceStorm (love the nic btw!):

the file sizes definitely imply they are installed games (between 4 & 8GB).
i just dont want some other person being able to get hold of the games and using them.
but i also dont want to stop myself from playing them due to the install being registered on another console so to speak.

im confident that the saved game files are / have been transferred to the new console.

sorry if im rambling its been a long day.

No one would be able to access those games you have installed unless they are Games on Demand titles

You'd need a copy of the game (disc) to play it anyway :P