Install Times

Having to wait over 2 hours for a game to install is completely unacceptable as far as I am concerned. What's the point of a disc if I have to wait longer for it to install than I have time to play a game. No other console or PC has this problem, I hope this is just a 'Teething problem' with the new console and something that can be fixed with a update. I really would like to know why you have to install the game in the first place instead of reading straight from the disc like previous consoles. We are no longer living in the age of the Commodore 64!

P.S. Even the 64 took less time and that's if it stuffed up and you had to load the tape again...yes I'm old!

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I installed AC4 from the disc in around 30 minutes. Were you connected to the internet when doing the install? If so next time disconnect first then do the install, as the game will download the updates for the game at the same time as performing the install causing for longer install times

I think they need to change it so that updates are only offered after the game has been installed. Rather than before or in a few cases, at the same time! ..this causes the issue most are having with long install times. The process mentioned above works well in the meantime.

[quote user="Silver Stav"]

'Teething problem' with the new console and something that can be fixed with a update.

I doubt an update could fix it.  Generally the install time depends on how big the game Is - games like Forza 5 are 30GB+ which is 3 to 4 times the size of the average Xbox 360 game. FIFA 14 on the other hand is only around 8GB.  Anyway it's not all that bad, I understand some games allow you to start playing after a certain percentage is installed.  Are you sure you are not one of the unlucky ones with a faulty BD-drive?

I really would like to know why you have to install the game in the first place instead of reading straight from the disc like previous consoles.

These games are big, and while the latest generation of Blu-ray drives for consoles are faster, they aren't quite up to the task of loading the kind of high resolution data quickly that the Xbox One can handle.  Technically, there's no reason why some games couldn't play from disc, however to prevent confusion MS has decided that all games must be installed.  Sony have also done the same thing.  Hard drives have faster read speeds and access times than BD drives.  Plus, hard drives tend to last a heck of a lot longer than disc drives.  Once you install a game it is read from the hard drive preventing an untimely demise of the disc drive.

There is also a second reason.  If you borrow one of your friends games or rent an Xbox One game and, after returning it, wish to buy it off the Marketplace, you can do so without downloading the game.  The Xbox online store will unlock your game install after you pay for it.

We are no longer living in the age of the Commodore 64!  P.S. Even the 64 took less time and that's if it stuffed up and you had to load the tape again...yes I'm old!

It's not fair to compare a computer from 30 years ago to the Xbox One.  In any case, the install should be a one off.  After the initial install you shouldn't need to install the same game again for quite some time.[/quote]

Not only is it unfair to compare X1 to a 30 year old computer, it's just dumb. These 2 devices couldn't be more different. Obsessive has some good points. Look into the tech a bit before complaining about its performance. Disk installs never take more than an hour for me and are playable before that.

I was able to start playing Forza 5 when it was 22% downloaded which took about 15 minutes.

IDK what's up with the variation in install times that people have been stating, unless it is what some have pointed out as far as the update being downloaded along with the install.

It seems to make sense if it's because of the update installing with the game. Different internet connections / speeds would cause people to have different install times.

I know when I first got my XB1, I turned it on, got the initial system update, played around setting up the UI a little bit (which was little more than choosing tile colors and a gamer pic) as well as calibrating my K2 and TV. I even double checked the A/V settings to make sure I had DTS surround sound turned on for my home theatre. Then I installed Ghosts. I'd heard that there were fewer potential issues if we waited for the game to install completely before playing it at the time, so that's what I did.

Even with all of that, it was a little over 1.5 hours total and I was playing the game, which probably didn't take a half hour to install.

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]I installed AC4 from the disc in around 30 minutes. Were you connected to the internet when doing the install? If so next time disconnect first then do the install, as the game will download the updates for the game at the same time as performing the install causing for longer install times[/quote]You shouldn't have to disconnect your console from the internet when you want to install a game though.

That isn't needed for my PC, or my PS3 or my Xbox 360. Why should it be a 'required' step for the Xbox One.

Xbox One is a great bit of kit but in some areas it seems to have taken several steps backward. 

[quote user="Obsessive Power"]These games are big, and while the latest generation of Blu-ray drives for consoles are faster, they aren't quite up to the task of loading the kind of high resolution data quickly that the Xbox One can handle.  Technically, there's no reason why some games couldn't play from disc, however to prevent confusion MS has decided that all games must be installed.  Sony have also done the same thing.  Hard drives have faster read speeds and access times than BD drives.  Plus, hard drives tend to last a heck of a lot longer than disc drives.  Once you install a game it is read from the hard drive preventing an untimely demise of the disc drive.

There is also a second reason.  If you borrow one of your friends games or rent an Xbox One game and, after returning it, wish to buy it off the Marketplace, you can do so without downloading the game.  The Xbox online store will unlock your game install after you pay for it.[/quote]It is pretty much down to how blu-ray reads a disc over DVD.

While blu-ray drives of 4x speed can transfer data at a faster rate than DVD, it will always go at that speed, at a constant rate. While that sounds a nice idea for gaming, playing from the disc would shorten the life of the drive massively. The advantage of DVD is that it has a variable speed, going anywhere from its maximum to minimum as required.

Plus hard drives, as you mention, are simply faster and more reliable than optical drives.

hmm i have 0 discs so i'm not aware. installs for the games from downloaded versions are pretty dam fast for me. ALso i've never seen 1 update happen. anytime i go home all the patches, updates, etc have been installed

[quote user="voteDC"]

[quote user="x24hrs2livex"]I installed AC4 from the disc in around 30 minutes. Were you connected to the internet when doing the install? If so next time disconnect first then do the install, as the game will download the updates for the game at the same time as performing the install causing for longer install times[/quote]You shouldn't have to disconnect your console from the internet when you want to install a game though.

That isn't needed for my PC, or my PS3 or my Xbox 360. Why should it be a 'required' step for the Xbox One.

Xbox One is a great bit of kit but in some areas it seems to have taken several steps backward. 

[/quote]

The install times are due to each persons internet connection as while installing from the disk it also gets the required update from the internet. This is what allows the play while partially installed feature of the games to enable you to play single player or online multiplayer.
Its the same on the PS4 , except the ps4 gets the update later after its installed fully from the disk. This means that even though it still gives you the play while partially installed , you only get access to the single player content as the online content requires the latest patch.

Its not a required step for xbox one owners to disconnect from the internet to install games ... however it is a required step for those with poor internet speed otherwise they end up coming to the forums ranting about something thats their fault. Its only a temp fix though as once those with bad internet want to play online , they still have to wait for their consoles to struggle to download the large patches which will take them just as long as if the console was connected to begin with.

People seem to forget that the majority of these games are 30+ GB in size thats around 4-5 times the size of 360 titles and some of the patches are the size of 1 complete 360 game. Of course its going to take a good chunk of time to download that with a slow internet connection.

P.S. , it would be a needed step for PC , PS3 and 360 owners too if your internet was crappy and struggled to download patches. If a game needed a patch you could disconnect and still be able to play single player if you wanted. Oh and the fact that patches for those 3 are fractions of the size of ps4 and xbox one patches.

The only real fix for this is for people to cough up more money for higher speed internet connections if possible ... as time goes by and these next gen games are just going to get bigger in size , meaning patches will increase in size too. This problem is only going to get worse for those with bad internet connections and people seem to overlook the fact the issues is not the consoles fault.