Install issue and disk unreadable error

Hi, I have recently been getting a disk unreadable error on my old XBOX arcade system. This only occurs when I try to play recent titles, older titles and DVD's work fine. Anyways, in order to try and get around this temporarily, I decided to install the games to HDD and play them from there, this was ok for double disk releases such as Forza 4 and LA Noire, however MW3, AC Revelations and other games which come on a single disk wouldn't install to HDD - the same disk unreadable error would appear half way through installation. Then I decided to take my games and HDD to a friends, plug my HDD into his console and install my games onto my HDD using his consoles optical drive, thus narrowing down my troubleshooting. So it worked and the games installed to my HDD. Then when i got back home, sorted everything back out and tryed to play MW3, I got an error saying that the game could only be played on the console that it was originally installed, this has me baffled, it's the same game disk, my HDD, so what is going on? I've already ordered a new xbox slim and it'll be here in about 4-5 days, but I'd still be interested in what could be causing this issue. I've heard it could be new disk formats not being recognised by the Phillips/Lite-on drives after the firmware update. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

You have a few questions;

First, the Install Feature only writes a Disc to a specific Console/ HDD. If you write it on another Console and swap the HDD (like you described), it will not work that way. That is by Design.

As for the Failing DVD Drive. It sounds exactly like that. You will need to Contact Support to correct this or decide if you want to purchase a replacement.

This happened to me on my first Xbox 360 Console (a Launch Core). I have been using the Install Feature ever since to avoid unnecessary wear and tear on the DVD Drive.

If you can get the Install from your Console with your HDD, it will work within reason for a short time. But the only way to correct this is be having it fixed. Sorry and good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.