inherited console

My daughter-in-law just gave me her xbox 360.  She knows very little about the thing so we're starting from scratch.  The problem lies in our being ignorant about most of the matters associated with the console or the services it offers.  I have created an account and it appears to be now confirmed.  But I have been unsuccessful wading through the maze of information to simply get started with watching netflix, hulu, etc.  I attempted to download a manual only to discover that I don't know which console I have.  It is several years old, has a white case with chromed trim.  It has a wireless connection to DSL and all that seems to be functioning fine.  It has an antennae device attached to the back which appears to be an option that was added.  I have only one controller right now which is currently operating wired (think the battery might be bad on the wireless controller).  Which console do I have, is it still supported, and can someone advise me on a website, PDF download, or whatever to get me rolling?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

LodgingAlarm972,

It sounds as though you have an original Xbox 360 console. This link will give you a visual on the console models, but you don't have to go through the troubleshooting steps. I just wanted to give you a visual representation of the models. The original Xbox 360 console is still supported. Most apps such as Netflix, Redbox, etc. require you to not only have a Gold Subscription but you also have to subscription to certain apps so that you can use them on the Xbox console. You can click the Gold Subscription hyperlink I mentioned to review the benefits of Xbox gold. One thing I will highly recommend is make sure you remember your e-mail account and password associated with the account you created and there will be times you will need this information. If you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to ask and we will be more than glad to assist. Thank you,

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

So now I have to PAY for every membership I want (Netflix, etc.) in addition to the gold subscription or is this just a free subscription to an app?

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox Live Gold is not a subscription to allow access to Netflix, RedBox, HBOGo, ESPN, etc. In each case, you must have a subscription to that service already, but having a Gold subscription just allows you to use those services on your Xbox. For instances, if you receive ESPN on your cable service, then you can view the EPSN content on your Xbox as well. If you don't have HBO, then you can't use the HBOGO app on your Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

That's correct. Netflix, Hulu, etc have their own subscriptions for watching content. Getting a Xbox LIVE Gold subscription simply lets you use the console to watch the content if you already have a subscription to those platforms. It's not the only reason to have a gold membership, but it's a perk of having one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks guys for the input.  This was not made clear in the gold membership, but then again I must confess my ignorance.  I'll go from here.  Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.