Information on downloading games from XBOX Live

Hey everyone! I'm thinking about purchasing a few games from the past that I want to complete which are available on XBOX Live (not necessarily Arcade games, but games that were originally released in-store on discs), and I'm wondering if there are any matters of concern that I should be aware of beforehand since I have not done this before.

Mainly, if I were to download games on to my XBOX would they be attached to my gamertag or would they be attached to the console itself? I'm wondering about the versatility of the product when it comes to situations where I would  like to recover my gamertag at a friend's house. Would the game be attached to the gamertag or would I not be able to play it since it was downloaded on a different console?

Also, I would also not mind hearing people's opinions on buying games from online in general and if anyone believes that this is the beginning of the end for games being sold in-store.

Thanks in advance, ArgoBlue.

P.S.: Please excuse the lack of spacing as it is still rather more miss than hit.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

theyre attached to both gamertag and console. so if you'r signed in on any xbox you can use them. you can transfer lisences to another console in the future too.

you should not recover gamertags just to play at a friend's house though. use a usb memory unit instead.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the info, but now that it has come up I'd also like to know why I should not recover may gamertag on another console.

Thanks again in advance, ArgoBlue.

Sorry this didn't help.

thats not what the recovery feature is for and may result in a corrupt profile.

Sorry this didn't help.

I see now. Thanks for that info. I've just read around and see what could happen by doing so, and having my  profile end up as a corrupt file would suck.

Sorry this didn't help.