Infection on Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare?

I just bought my 12 year boy a 360 and we are trying out the free account.  It appears that some JA invited him to a game and infected him.  He cannot join any games now.  And his rank has been taken back to Private with a negative 200 million or so to jump to the next level.

Does anyone have a fix for this?  Is the console compromised?  I am really disappointed in a pay service like this which such crap going on.  i guess this is what we should expect from Microsoft?  

Thanks,

Dave

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

Your console has not been compromised. Ranking systems are actually taken care of by the developers, not Microsoft. So you would have to try contacting the developers about the issue. Unfortunately though, most developers have given up working on this issue with their games so they may not be able to do anything.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

How do we reset his whole account so he can join the online games.  He cannot play online now because of whatever happened?  Which i am not sure I get at this point either.  Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks.  Will try that

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Ianrocs123"]

I just bought my 12 year boy a 360 and we are trying out the free account.  It appears that some JA invited him to a game and infected him.  He cannot join any games now.  And his rank has been taken back to Private with a negative 200 million or so to jump to the next level.

Does anyone have a fix for this?  Is the console compromised?  I am really disappointed in a pay service like this which such crap going on.  i guess this is what we should expect from Microsoft?  

Thanks,

Dave

[/quote]

Hi Dave,

Firstly, you can request to have your son's rank reset. See below:

[quote]
To request to have your Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare stats reset:

1. Go to http://support.activision.com/cod4tool. If you are not currently logged in, you will be asked to do so.
  2. Enter the Gamertag associated with the Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare stat corruption.
  3. Click the gray box, then click Sign In. This will take you away from the Activision site to the Microsoft website.
  4. Enter your Microsoft username and password.
  5. Click Sign In. This will submit your stat reset request.

Stat resets can take up to three business days to process.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, because CoD4 is such an old game, it's no longer updated actively by Activision (publisher) or Infinity Ward (developer), who have developed and released 3 games since CoD4. You'll find the same issues on other platforms with this game.

Secondly, I recommend filing a complaint so the user with the 'infection' can be investigated by the policy enforcement team.

The console is not hacked and your account details are not at risk, it's the game itself which is unfortunately manipulated.

Good luck and take care. 

EDIT: Got ninja'd while typing this out. Apologies. 

Sorry this didn't help.

All I can do are steps 1 and 2.  I did setup an account with Activision but there is no jump to the Microsoft website.  I am using his Xbox live name as the Gamertag.  After I click the grey box it disappears and nothing else seems to be happening.  Maybe i should try in a different browser...

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, thx.  In Chrome the link did not work properly.  It would not take me to the Microsoft site for log in.  But in IE it worked and after log in to MS, it tells me the account will be reset in 3 days.

Seems odd that this stuff just can't be done immediately via the internet connects and the like.  

I am disappointed that it looks like I cannot send my 12 year old out on Xbox Live without risk of people jacking with his stuff.  

My boy does recall the name of the guy who jacked with him.  Do I report that to Microsoft or to Activision.  Any links would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not sure if Activision has a system in place to file a complaint on gamers, but you can try contacting them about that. But you would also want to file a complaint with Microsoft as well. Just follow the link Mad Cow gave you on how to file a complaint.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Ianrocs123"]

Ok, thx.  In Chrome the link did not work properly.  It would not take me to the Microsoft site for log in.  But in IE it worked and after log in to MS, it tells me the account will be reset in 3 days.

Seems odd that this stuff just can't be done immediately via the internet connects and the like.  

I am disappointed that it looks like I cannot send my 12 year old out on Xbox Live without risk of people jacking with his stuff.  

My boy does recall the name of the guy who jacked with him.  Do I report that to Microsoft or to Activision.  Any links would be appreciated.  Thanks.  

[/quote]
Sorry to hear about it. Personally, I think it sucks that some users ruin good games for everyone. I'll just stress that your son's account isn't compromised at all, so account security isn't at risk at least.

The only way to report is to file a complaint, I included the link in my previous post for more information. He may be able to find the user (he'd need to remember upon looking) in his recent players list (Guide --> Friends list --> right tab), select the users, and select file complaint

Sorry this didn't help.