Inactive gamertag

i was wondering how long it takes for a gamertag to become available when its been inactive . there is a gamertag i would like that only has 5 gamer score and last used 1/4/2007 so 5 years now . so was wondering if there a way for me to be able to acquire the gamertag i would like .

Question Info

Last updated October 9, 2018 Views 725 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There is no timetable for a gamertag to become free. Microsoft started releasing original xbox gamertags about a year or so ago, but otherwise all you can do is wait. The tag system is also used on other Microsoft services as well. So even if it hasn't been used on the 360 it could be in use somewhere else.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

well is there a way for microsoft to deactivate it if it not being used or be able to check if it being used for something  else cause i been waiting almost 2 years now for the gamertag

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello there, people have made accounts on accident and never been used for 2+ years and their gamertag never got available again. I believe there was only one time, if I am not mistaken that they made some gamertags active, and that was a long time ago. So there is no date when the gamertag will be available again, if it ever does.

Sorry this didn't help.

but the moderators on here or someone must be able to deactivate it or look into it somehow cause thats ridiculous if it exists forever they must have some over ride cause id gladly pay 800 msp to drop the x from my name

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the official line from Microsoft:

[quote]

I can't change my Gamertag (GT).
Most of the time if you are seeing a message saying the GT you want is unavailable, it’s true. One thing to remember is that spaces and capitalization don’t make your GT unique. For example, “Major Nelson”, “MajorNelson”, and “MaJoRnElSoN” are all the same GT.

GTs are also tied to services like Zune or Games for Windows LIVE. If a GT doesn't exist on Xbox, it might be in use on one of those services. If you try sending the GT you want a friend request and it says it’s not a valid GT that just means it isn’t used on Xbox LIVE, but it could be used for Zune or GFWL.

I heard old GTs are being re-added. When will "This GT" be available?
There is no schedule or estimated dates for when certain GTs will become available again. GTs are not an on-demand service. They will be available when they are available. 

[/quote]http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/12/t/153151.aspx

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

i can send the gamertag a friend request but like i said it only has 5 gs and last played 1/4/2007 and no record of zune and u earn achievements for windows live games as will it wuz jus made as a trial thing it appears and has not been used since . i think there should b a limit on how long its inactive before it is available again so ppl can change them to ones they would like if there is anyway to tell me if its active in anyway or being used in conjuction with something else i would appreciate it if someone told me . i will continue to patiently wait for it to become available but there should be a time frame of inactivity till its deactivated im going make that a formal suggestion and know im not the only one who would like to see that changed

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi King of JokersX! We do appreciate your feedback, and your idea regarding a time frame of inactivity. If you could, it would be most beneficial to post that idea in our Xbox LIVE Wishlist/Feedback forum (forums.xbox.com/.../133.aspx) as that is monitored and ideas and feedback is noted. Thanks! :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there a way for you (Microsoft) to send an email to the old inactive accounts, to see if they're willing to keep the account? If there's no response, that should give you the right to deactivate the account and allow someone else to enjoy it...   

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there IKnwledge,

This is an older thread and to best assist people rather than bumping old threads users are asked to create a new thread of their own.

That being said, your suggestion would be best posted in the Feedback site so the right people see it and can do something. You can go here: http://xbox.uservoice.com/ and post the suggestion.

I hope this helps.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have an old account that I haven't logged into since 2008 and i can still see the gamertag as friends with my other account but it still hasn't been recycled. I want my old gamertag so bad but it is tied to an email i made when i was 12 and I used all fake information that I don't remember. Please help and go to http://xbox.uservoice.com/ and vote to make this a possibility.

Sorry this didn't help.