Inability to Cancel Xbox Live through the Online "Account Manager"

I am so disappointed with how Microsoft have decided to make it such a major task when it comes to wanting to cancelling an xbox live subscription!!

Firstly, what is the point in having an “Account Management” area in which the user has no control over when it comes to actually wanting to remove a service!!

Instead, they are presented with ”An error occurred cancelling automatic renewal” error message which disallows the user to actually cancel an Xbox Live subscription without any indication as to why.

It’s then only after searching through the Troubleshooting information, that you are then told that in order to cancel your Xbox Live Membership, you would need to “Contact Us”, in which after clicking on that link, your then asked to provide your problem from a selection of possibilities from drop down boxes.

After finally managing to select the option of cancelling a subscription, you are then presented with the following information:

Thank you for being a member of Xbox LIVE!

Now, after clicking on the “Call Xbox Support” link, after waiting 20 seconds for the page to load, I’m actually re-directed to the same “Contact Us” web form, web page again!!!!!

Now, I can appreciate that Microsoft have resorted to tactics so widely used by companies such as Amazon’s “Love Film” or more recently subscribers of Virgin Media services, in which they have now removed all “Account Management” options which allows a user to remove services so easily, in which they now insist that you have to call support in order to cancel a service you no longer wish to receive, is something I find totally time wasting, and is only there as a last minute opportunity to allow “Support Staff” to try and sell hard sell you an “Unbeatable Offer”.

Many companies deny this, and insist it’s more of a “Survey” thing in which they require questions and answers as to why you are leaving their service. (To which anything other then answering, I cannot afford to pay the subscription fee anymore, would more then likely be met with an offer on a deal at a slightly reduced rate, if any other reason other then the latter were to be given).

If it was for statistical purposes as to why people wanted to cancel a service, then I would more then happily sit and take 5 minutes to fill in an online form as long as after completing it, it actually allowed me to cancel my account without having the hassle of trying to contact customer support via Telephone through a link that does not actually re-direct you to the information you would need to be able to go about cancelling an account!!

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

One user posted that if you change your account location to Chicago, Illinois it will let you cancel on line.  It may be an Illinois law that requires this.  Otherwise, you are stuck calling tech support.  I have called them three times (the last one being this morning) and found that early morning on a week day is the best time to call.  I got right through.  Every other time I called (weekend day and weekday night) I spent a considerable amount of time on hold.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Mix! Do you have the ability to call phone support (support.xbox.com/contact-us)? This is currently the only supported way for all regions to cancel their accounts or turn off auto renewal. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry this didn't help.

The call xbox support page is the contact us page its not a VOIP app

its a listing of local support numbers depending on your region

Sorry this didn't help.

i've spent half the day trying to find a way to cancel and i'm absolutely furious.  it's nothing but theft making it this difficult to stop an automatic renewal.  i can't believe it's legal.

Sorry this didn't help.

ummm how is what 1000s of companys own proccess illegal?

do you really call the cops everytime you have to call a dentist to cancel an appointment?

you do relieze that 90% of the companies you deal with you still have to call to cancel anything

2nd of all they give you 2 options clearly stated

subscription continued service till you cancel

and you are told before you click purchase now this membership will renew

calling is still the most used method among companies including phone cellphone utilities and service providers like internet or tv

prepaid card pay as you go

Sorry this didn't help.

so show me a working phone number then.  the site creates an endless loop preventing you from reaching a phone number, and the numbers i was able to find via googled forums don't work.  i'm not objecting to the automatic renewal like you suggest.  i signed up for it willingly on the belief i'd be able to cancel it when i chose to.  my anger is at the extreme underhanded methods they use to prevent that.

Sorry this didn't help.

found it and succeeded.  the number is 1800 555 741.

Sorry this didn't help.

it depends on your region

you need to set the page to your region and click accounts

cancel autorenewal

call us

Sorry this didn't help.

that's another problem.  because i have a hotmail account the site automatically tries to sign me into it, and when it does it's appended to a gamertag that isn't mine.  i've emailed support to fix it dozens of times and they ignore me.  i'm really over microsoft.

Sorry this didn't help.

you can change the xbox.com region by clicking us

and select your actual region

Sorry this didn't help.