Improved Install Times

I'm on the fence on whether to buy an xbox one or not. Its old news to some, but I noticed an article on game install times. "For the purpose of this test both consoles were connected to WiFi with a moderate download speed of around 10Mbps. Assassin’s Creed IV: Xbox One 10 minutes 32 seconds PS4: 42 seconds Need For Speed Rivals: XB1: 09:25 PS4: 00:32 Just Dance 2014: XB1: 08:48 PS4: 00:45 NBA Live 14: XB1: 16:26 PS4: 00:35 FIFA 14: XB1: 16:06 PS4: 00:34 Madden 25: XB1: 09:38 PS4: 00:38" Now the total time for these six installs is 70 minutes 55 seconds on xbox one, 3minutes 46 seconds on PS4 70:55 - 3:46 Gives an average install time for the games tested of 11 minutes 49 seconds on xbox one and 37 seconds on PS4 11:49 - 0:37 So my question is, have the various updates and patches improved the install times on xbox one? It's not a dealbreaker but very nice when you get a new game.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 30 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Assassin’s Creed IV: Xbox One 10 minutes 32 seconds PS4: 42 seconds Need For Speed Rivals: XB1: 09:25 PS4: 00:32 Just Dance 2014: XB1: 08:48 PS4: 00:45 NBA Live 14: XB1: 16:26 PS4: 00:35 FIFA 14: XB1: 16:06 PS4: 00:34 Madden 25: XB1: 09:38 PS4: 00:38

Really....  you post this about a "decision" on to buy or not buy a console... or do you have some hidden agenda...  Mr Silver.. please enlighten us...

Not sure if the update has improved install times, I've never counted to be honest.

Don't know if it's just me though, when a game says "Ready To Start" even though it's still installing, I never start playing, always wait until it's 100% complete.

I know some people have had issues but I don't think I've ever waited longer than 20 minutes for a game to install, download any updates to 100%.

As to whether you get an Xbox One or not though, I wouldn't personally even consider install times, so you could wait 20 minutes, it's that a real issue? I'd make my decision on, does it have the games you want? are you happy with the price? what it offers you now? do you have people you know on Xbox LIVE?

I'm not really SURE the ps4 completely installs that quick. When I have put in discs its ready to play really fast but I can hear the disc spinning still. So I think those ps4 numbers are because you can start playing before it installs. You can also start real quick with x1 as well while it finishes installing. Now the updates are the same. 1gig(example) update will taken the same on each console that's dependent on your internet. This should be done offline and the times when they are both ready to start playing.

I'm not basing my decision on install times obviously. Just think it would be an obvious improvement and was wondering if they have done it yet.

Like I say, not a deal breaker. As you only have to install each game once. If those were loading times, THAT would be a deal breaker!

I've installed games both offline and online.

What I've noticed is that the install lags, if there is an immediate patch, or update, that has to be downloaded, for the game that's installing. How long the lag is will depend on the size of the patch and the quality of the connection.

Also, there's no way that the PS4 completely installs a (say) 25 GB game in 40 seconds. I can't see how anyone could possibly believe it could transfer that much data, that fast, from a Blu Ray disc to a mechanical HDD. That'd be a whole new level of technology that, so far, doesn't even exist in the best computers.

well if I bought a game tonight... start the install...abd it seems like it will take a long time.. Ill just go watch TV, start another game... get something to eat... etc etc...  install times should not even be a discussion..

unless you are one of those 3Mb up 1 Mn Down DSL types.. well.. then I have nothing for you

I don't know about the times listed but on PS4 it's easy to tell if it's fully installed or not so I don't think there confused.

After you start the install it displays a progress bar when you can start playing it tells you that you can push x to start but you would still see the install bar still in progress. but by those times I would say it's the time before you can start and not the full install.

But like lofty I wait till it's finished.