Impossible to change the country of my billing acount, so no Xbox Live Gold ! HELP!

Okay here's my problem: I've been a good Microsoft costumer for over five years now, because of a miner problem that I had met with my old Xbox 360 Elite, I had to buy the latest one (compatible with Kinect when bought). I had a month of free Live Gold membership, cool ! Now here's the part thats NOT COOL: When I turn on my Xbox and I'm on the dashboard I notice that I have a "DEAL" that says "2$ For Two months" and I'm like "H*ll yes!" but when I go to pay, they say that I have to put in my billing info, okay no problem, except that there IS A PROBLEM. I am an American who lives in France, I created my Xbox Live account being IN France, with a FRENCH E-mail adress (Hotmail.fr). The problem is that when I put in my adress and zip code etc etc [...] it won't let me get past saying something like "Not the proper zip code" or whatever. I don't care. I live in France, I have a French E-mail and a French Xbox Live account, why is it that my account is from AMERICA ?!

So you know, it's all good, I kept my cool and told myself that I'll try to change that later... Except that today (the day that I planned to add my Billing Info) I get some kind of sh** telling me that I can change countries, but the only thing that they propose is Chile, Russia, Portugal etc etc [...] (the newly excepted countries on Xbox Live) the problem is that I would like to put FRANCE in there so I can finally get my 2 months for 2 bucks ! I don't think that is too much to ask for is it?

Anyways, if anyone has an answer (or a way to get in touch with the Xbox Live client services without paying god knows how much in a phone bill) I would REALLY appreciate it. 

THEINSANE69 ;)

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 657 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Oh and I forgot to add that I've tried everything: including verifying that my E-mail's country is France and all. I'm out of options here :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

you'll have to create a new account

its not so much what your email says as windows live ids can be changed however changing the windows live id does not change the region of an account

goto https://billing.microsoft.com click additional info

that is your set region

Sorry this didn't help.

Create a new account? I don't know about  you but I'm an Achievement Freak. My last acount had 36K G-points, and I had to Create another one (THEINSANE69).

Now that I've managed to get 3K G-points (which wasn't hard but took a little time, time that I do not want to do again) I don't wan't to create another account. Oh and, all of my game data is on THIS account, I really don't want to have to play the games all over again...

When I try to change my billing info via the same site that you posted, the "Country/Region" is America and there is no way to change it.

I really don't get it, my Windows Live ID is french, but my billing info has AMERICA in it... I mean come on whats the deal here?

Sorry this didn't help.

The account region is set by what is entered when you create the account, not by what your ID is set to. The only way to change an account region is by using the account migration tool, but it can only be used if you're living in one of the 9 newly added countries to Live and France is not one of them. There is no way to change your account region.

Sorry this didn't help.

Well crap...

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah there's loads of people out there having this issue mate, it has been going on for about 5 years and Micro$oft have done nothing to solve it. Before theses new forums came in there was a five-year old, 30-odd-page-long thread of peope complaining about it! I agree with you totally that it is unreasonable of them to expect you to just create a new gamertag. Whats the point of being loyal and buying games for this console and racking up achievements, friends, and a rep, just to be told to create a new one when circumstances in your life make you move?

The "rationale" about not allowing region changes that its about copyright issues to do with different regions. Well, Apple is quite happy to allow you change your iTunes country region, and they deal in music, videos, films etc. which all have copyright stuff associated too.

And if you can prove that you have moved, say by providing a credit card registered to that address, or a bill, then surely that would be enough for them to change your region for you? Why can't they procide that service for people who are buying their products????

Sorry this didn't help.

zombiclone its an technical problem

unlike ITUNES

itunes does not need to output to a tv

NTSC content will not work with PAL content not to mention copyright issues and distibution rights are the publishers job

by creating a different account you maintain compatibility with NTSC content on your main account while allowing you to use PAL content on the new account

audio doesn't have that issue

and ITUNES only maintains the content on the device rather then a tv

NTSC and PAL disks cannot be mixed with content

if you migrate your account to a PAL region you no longer have access to NTSC content so you need to maintain the ntsc content

for every region there is different options and DLC and disks have different menus

nintendo and sony content will not work outside their regions

psn US content will only work with NA content not EU content on the occasion where there is CONTENT laws preventing international versions of games from being used elsewhere thats a distibution issue

blackops and many violent games like gears of wars 3 fall under that category

Sorry this didn't help.

@zombiclone

instead of posting the same issue and getting the same answer everytime  multiple times

since you don't like the short answer

why don't you google dvd regions and distibution rights along with ntsc/pal for a very very long answer

it explains it all (itunes isn't restricted by dvd regions)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi

Yes, I get the whole dvd region thing now, thats fair enough, you certainly have a point - of course ntsc discs will not work on a pal tv due to the technical differences. And there are also legal content issues varying by region. But pal/ntsc differences have nothing to do with buying an XBox Live Gold subscription - that is about being able to use your gamertag to play online with other players. And if you have moved to another country, you should be allowed to change your region so that you can carry on using the same gamertag. The point I'm trying to make is that when someone moves to another country, they should be allowed to prove their change of address and have their region changed so that they can then buy content for that region, buy a Gold subscription etc.

The fact that Microsoft does not facilitate that is ridiculous. I'm sorry to keep harping on about it, but it really is shameful. To just accept it and say "thats just the way it is, too bad" is apathetic. Surely if enough people raise complaints about it, they will have to do something. If you phone up Support with this probelm, and speak to someone higher up, they do raise a "ticket" about it, so maybe that is a start. I'm genuinely sorry to be an annoyance, but I feel strongly about this.

Sorry this didn't help.

@ngocphi

I also have the same problem as ZombiClone, and I also fully understand the NTSC/PAL issue. However, the problem in Europe is that the restrictions in "region" is related to actual countries. In the case of USA, it would correspond to Microsoft restricting people from moving between states while keeping their xbox live accounts.. So in the US the region is a quite large area, while in Europe a "region" is a country when we talk payment options (I have an account in the UK, but live in Denmark). And I was happy when I saw that it was now possible to migrate the xbox live account - only to be very disappointed when seeing that it was only related to a limited number of countries and not the "interesting country" in my case.

Sorry this didn't help.