Importing from US to UK

I would like to know if I buy a Blu-ray of the price £18+ do I pay any custom tax fees?

-

Yes, I did read on the HM Revenue & Customs website that anything over £15 would have a fee but I've read that people who've spent £20 or to even £30 haven't had these kind of issues so I'm wondering.

-

The Blu-rays (anime genre) that I'm after aren't available in UK and are Region B compatible so I want to own them and watch.

-

Thanks.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

I know for games you should have no problem getting them to work.

However I do believe Blue Rays are region coded but someone who knows more about it should be able to help.

As for tax stuff... if you are importing for yourself and customs "check" your order you might face some stiff levvies.

However if you order something as a "Gift" from abroad I believe the VAT is waived?

Double check.

Az

You should try contacting the seller of possible. I have had to do this before with buying Blu-Ray films as it can vary across titles. If you're desperate you could invest in a region free Blu-Ray player if such a thing exists.

As for tax stuff, which is the actual topic in hand... I believe you have to pay when the value of the purchase is $24 or more. I once bought to Pokemon Gym Badges from the US and had to pay a fairly hefty customs charge. I believe it came to around £13 on top of the purchase and shipping costs and I had to make a trip to the Post Office to get it sorted.

Paying customs tax is a lottery, sometimes you will be lucky and not get charged while other times not so lucky and get charged. If the item is marked  as a gift then most often then not you won't get charged import tax. I have been importing for years with things from as litlle as £5 up to hundreds of pounds, and only once been charged import tax and thas was mainly due to UPS declairing it.

-

Most places I use though always mark the item as Gift.

You will also need a new PSU(UK 240v), or if you intend to use the US PSU a step down transformer to convert the UK 240v to US 120v (if that is the rating of the US PSU).

@ Whagi   he is only importing a few blu rays! have you posted in the wrong thread? Also the psu's on the new consoles are auto switchable so don't need a step down transformer.

No he's right American blu rays need their own power source because of all the extra features.

Thanks guys.

-

The BDs I'm going to import are Seasons 2, 3 and 4 of Yu Yu Hakusho, which are Region A & B. One at a time so it lowers the chances of custom fees bs.

[quote user="KALEEF"]

@ Whagi   he is only importing a few blu rays! have you posted in the wrong thread? Also the psu's on the new consoles are auto switchable so don't need a step down transformer.

[/quote]

Doh! Read the post wrong. :)

But the PSUs are different for each country, see the official website for details Click me >

If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you:

• don't have to pay Excise Duty
  • may have to pay Customs Duty on goods with a value that exceeds £135
  • will have to pay import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm