I'm getting an error at the Network stage of the Xbox Live test

I was connected to Xbox Live just fine for the past few days in my dorm room. I had to unplug everything b/c some movers came to get a piece of furniture. When I plugged everything back in, I was unable to connect to Xbox Live. I have a strange setup...I have my Xbox plugged directly into my laptop, and my laptop is connected to my school's wireless network. I found this setup on some WikiHow page, and it worked perfectly. I'm wondering what went wrong from just unplugging everything. 

What Country/State/Province do you live in? Atlanta, Georgia (Georgia Tech campus)
Modem brand & model number: I'm not using one.
Router brand & model number: I'm not using one.
Network Connection Type: I'm connected from my Xbox to my laptop via ethernet cable, but my laptop is connected wirelessly to the school's network.
If Wireless, what type of encryption are you using? I don't know.
Things you have tried: Resetting my computer and my Xbox, setting my IP address manually (No commands will work in cmd.exe for some reason, so that failed.)
Is UPnP Enabled? Unknown
Is NAT Type Open? I haven't gotten that far, but when it was connected yesterday, it was Moderate.
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
What type of internet do you have? I think it's Cable
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? It's Georgia Tech's internet
When you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" what is the exact message shown on screen?
 "There's a problem with your connection. Select More Infro for a description of the problem and how you can fix it." Then when I click More Info, it says that it can't obtain an IP address from my router or modem, and to turn it off and back on, then wait 30 seconds.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

At this point, it wouldn't hurt to try setting the connection up again from scratch, this time using the official Xbox guide, found here. Please let us know how it goes!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.