im disappointed in lack of SSD.

With next Gen geared toward digital its a shame neither console has a SSD drive imo. 

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

But what size would you want and would you be willing to pay extra for it?

Just saying standard hdd is outdated already. In 10 years it will be worse. For a digital age SSD would be the better choice especially for x1 since it can't be removed.

At the moment SSD is very expensive per gb of storage. I believe the next gen of consoles will have SSD for sure but at the moment it is too expensive per gb. Look up prices for 512gb SSD and let me know if you can find one much cheaper than the console itself.

Even if SSD was dirt cheap right now it wouldn't work, the amount of data that is constantly being written to the drive would kill it in no time at all, would be worse than the original RROD's!

Keeping the 500GB size would add at least $250 to the price of the console, and that's assuming they passed their bulk discount on a bit, and didn't just hit us with the $350 retail of the SSD.

You can put a ssd in ps3 which I did for experimental purposes and since ps4 also allows you to change/replace the main HDD, you can always replace it with SSD. Im most likely gonna do it. I don't think xbox one allows you to change the HDD. You are stuck with xbox one as it is.

Once again soldier you are misinformed!! You have no clue do you?  XboxOne will support external hdd , however not at launch..........Oh and same goes for the almighty PS4.  Also on XboxOne, users will have unlimited storage via the cloud no matter if you are a premium gold subscriber or silver.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/165586-ps4-and-xbox-one-wont-support-external-hard-drives-for-now

[quote user="TheSpiralMatrix"]

Just saying standard hdd is outdated already. In 10 years it will be worse. For a digital age SSD would be the better choice especially for x1 since it can't be removed.

[/quote]

I currenty launch my PC off of an SSD drive for faster boot up / OS function. However, I do not store games on my SSD. For that I still have hefty HDDs. The issue for me with SSD's are two fold:

1. They do have a very finite read / write lifetime. They do die and they die quicker than HDDs. True they are getting better but in a console that is meant to last a long time, I have concerns. Given the way consoles use HDDs and thus SSDs as scratch pads at times I'm not sure it'd be wise betting on an SSD right new. Besides data transfer rates are that massively different for realtime game performance.
  2. They don't have the storgage capacity needed. Not even close.

My gut instinct is still to look to hybrid drives with a large cache of flash memory on the drive. From what I have read that is the solution Microsoft have gone for, and as it's a console I think that is the optimum decision to make. I'm not therefore disappointed neither Microsoft or Sony have decided to go the SSD route yet. THe technology just isn't there yet for day to day console use.

i am actually glad the SSD HDD isnt in either, the technology isnt there yet for SSD to be better than the HDD.  you cant dis agree with me there, the normal HDD may have been here for years, and we may be moving into using the SSD hard drives but like it was said since the tech isnt there the SSD hard drive is way expensive, i mean go look you can get a western digital 1 tb for about 60$ but try the same size SSD drive.   so for the sake of this post are you wanting to double the console just so you can have your SSD and then have it fail after i dono 6 months with as much gaming or entertainment stuff the x1 is being used for?

[quote user="XxEndless WarxX"]

Once again soldier you are misinformed!! You have no clue do you?  XboxOne will support external hdd , however not at launch..........Oh and same goes for the almighty PS4.  Also on XboxOne, users will have unlimited storage via the cloud no matter if you are a premium gold subscriber or silver.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/165586-ps4-and-xbox-one-wont-support-external-hard-drives-for-now

[/quote]

While I can understand your frustration at Soldier, he is actually right. You can swap out the internal HDDs in both the PS3 and the PS4. However, I don't believe the early and slim PS3's supported the data transfer rates of SSDs, so it would be pointless. Not sure of the PS3 Super Slim though. Also on the PS4 users will have unlimited cloud storage if they are PS+ subscribers as in the same way Xbox Live Gold subscribers will with Xbox One. However, I don't think the PS4 will support external HDDs. I know Microsoft have said eventually they hope to bring the ability to support external HDDs... but I don't think Sony are planning it.