I'm confused - will Xbox One be online only even for people living in rural areas?

I was considering getting an Xbox One but am not 100% sure now as there has been that many rumours going around.

At first I heard the console was going to be done in a way that you could only play if it's online,

then I heard that the console was not going to be online only

then I heard that Microsoft may re-introduce this feature later on after people have bought the console.

So what's it going to be?

This is going to be a very important decider for me on whether or not to buy the console as we live in a rural area with very poor 2mbps broadband with constant disconnections and clearly I don't want a console that's going to be going on and off all the time.

So is it going to be online or no gameplay or will you be able to play it offline in rural areas, even if Microsoft do change this in the future?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

When you first fire up the xbox one you will need to be online for an update.After that you do not need to be online if you do not want to.

Any other questions or for xbox one discussion you should post in the xbox one forums here http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/3817.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

you will need to be connected to the internet on day one in order to install the update that will reverse the drm after that choice is yours to be online or offline hope this helps

Sorry this didn't help.

No need to repeat an answer already given.

Sorry this didn't help.

@darrenforster99 -- For what it is worth the original Xbox One model never required a constant online connection.  It was originally conceived to be a Steam-like system (if you're familiar with PC gaming you should know Steam) and required a check-in to verify licenses every 24-hours.

Given your statement about your internet connection you should be fine if Microsoft ever decides to implement the feature at a later date and time.

On a side note, bandwidth speeds increase exponentially every few months so if--more likely when--Microsoft pushes for the re-instatement of the original design concept your internet speed and connection will most likely be better than it is today.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks VisageOfAnAngel and everyone else for great answers.  Yours was the most in depth.

Btw - also funny just noticed the bottom of your post - snap I'm an Aspie too! ;)

Sorry this didn't help.