I want to change my gamertag for free

I want to change my gamertag and http://support.xbox.com/en-US/my-account/manage-gamertag-and-profile/change-xbox-live-gamertag instructs me to sign in at live.xbox.com which says I can change it once for free within 30 days of creating it. It has only been about 2 weeks. The page then forces me to sign on the console to change it and then is asking $9.99 for the change. What’s up with the contradiction?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:
Answer

In your case you got a forced name change and will have to pay 10 bucks to change that name sorry.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

You can find the information that ngocphi mentioned here - support.xbox.com/.../xbox-gamer-profile-settings

Gamertag

If your gamertag was created for you during Xbox Live sign-up, you can change the gamertag once for free. Additional Xbox Live gamertag changes cost 800 Microsoft Points. For steps and details, see Change your Xbox Live gamertag or Xbox Music tag.

Since you chose your gamertag, you would have to pay to change your tag. Changing your gamertag should not affect anything else on your account.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.