I got HACKED, took 3 months for you to get my money back, and after promising you could get my 450 Microsoft points back, you call today and say, "Sorry, we can't." REALLY???

I got hacked on May 25th, 2011.  My reference number was originally 1154996412.  The hackers used all 440 of my Microsoft points- then they used my credit card and bought a pack of 4000 Microsoft points ($49.99) and a pack of 1600 Microsoft points ($19.99).  They used the points to buy premium gold jumbos (240 points each)--- 8 times, and 1 premium gold pack (120 points). 

I had 10 points leftover.

They $49.99 got credited back automatically.  But over the course of May, June, July, and August I've been fighting to get back what was stolen.  I've been completely cooperative and patient and dealt with my account being under investigation multiple times.  Through out this process, I got two more reference numbers: 1156337108, and most recently, 1160373923 .

The most disturbing part of all this is that on July 19th, I noticed that my last 10 Microsoft points were gone.  I called and asked, and they said they got rid of them so when they credit back all my Microsoft points, it would be an even 450?  I didn't really understand but I took the representatives word for it, and at least he understood the situation.

Then somehow over the next month, instead of the situation being, "Hello sir, we're working hard to get back your lost points," it became, "So we're investigating on whether or not you really had points stolen from your account, and we can't find any evidence."

Seriously??  You JUST took the last 10 out of my account for the sake of some plan you had, and now that it's in someone else's hands, you people can't keep well enough track to finish what you start??

How in the world is this okay??  If I could access my ENTIRE Microsoft points history (it only shows me back through September 2010), I'd sit down myself and track EVERY point for as far back as my account has existed, since you all apparently can't?  But that's ridiculous and I KNOW you have the capability to do so!

I've kept up to date on telling and retelling the same story to every new rep, and everyone understood that I had points I needed to get back.  Everyone was on board, now in this last month, all of a sudden I'm being doubted, when I know you have the resources to see how many points I had back in May before I was hacked!

How hard is that??  Look at how many points I had before I got hacked, and give me those points back!  This is absolutely INSANE!! 

The fact that you can only blindly follow a computer that says, "This investigation is over" rather than listening to a cooperative PAYING customer who was taken advantage of, by NO fault of my own, is simply disgusting.  YOU'RE security issues and lack of protection cost ME a WHOLE lot of time, aggravation, stress, and most importantly, money!

I need assistance with this matter, and I certainly need to know why you, or your investigation team or whoever, is refusing to look at my account, look at it from the day it was created, and TRACK my points!! You'll see I had 440 points before I was hacked!  Knowing this, what justification can you have for not helping me????  It's too much work to figure out what charges were fraudulent and what weren't??  If someone bought 8 memberships, OBVIOUSLY that wasn't me!!

I'm furious and extremely disappointed and I don't deserve to be pushed aside just because some people don't want to do the necessary work!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Sorry, didn't mean to disappear on this one.   The first rep I contacted simply locked my account.  There was no discussion of any other options.  During my follow-up contact, I was specifically told there were two flags that could be set on the account: one that prevented purchases and another that prevented access entirely.  They turned off the second one with the second call and following that I was able to get on to live.

I should point out my son was able to log in using his account.  We have a Family Gold subscription, but it appeared that only my account was actually locked.  I've reached 14 days now, but still no contact of any sort from Microsoft.  Unlike other folks, I've never seen an e-mail that an investigation was opened.  I'll probably contact them to make sure they have the right e-mail addresses and gamertags, just to make sure.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

"there was something on the Xbox dashboard that offered a free 1 month trial of Xbox Live for $1."

If you have to pay for something then it's not free. Anyway, to take in on those deals you need a credit card....which I hope you stopped using for your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wow, it looks like you guys have it worse than I did.  I had no idea this problem was so widespread.

Just some info, if it offers anything to the discussion:  I know I've made an EA account before, so perhaps that was how I was hacked, but I've never played FIFA or the other games mentioned in this thread.  

Also, when I wasn't allowed to get online, there was something on the Xbox dashboard that offered a free 1 month trial of Xbox Live for $1.  Or something like that.  I'm not sure if they're still doing that promotion but that might be something to do to get to play for a little bit.  Eh, damn it, I honestly can't quite remember what it was.  I know I didn't pay anything and I got to play online for a little bit with a newly created account.

Hopefully if enough people let Microsoft know this is a serious problem, more measures can be taken to ensure this doesn't happen.  Good luck to you guys, keep updating us.

Sorry this didn't help.

ok here is the difference

unauthorized charges case

the account is not locked but billing is locked till the ip and server logs are checked to see who purchased what

you cannot use a creditcard to make purchases

unauthorized access case (this is the option you should pick if you think someone other then you is comprimising your account)

account is locked and the password is reset at the end of the investigation and any terms of use violations occuring while not under your controll will be forgiven if not severe

Sorry this didn't help.

It depends on the rep you talk to, the first rep I talked to was a nice lady who said she was just going to suspend my ability for spending but when I called back the guy I spoke to only offered that he could "freeze my entire account" and when I asked him what good that would do he had no answer for me.

It really seems to be a luck of the draw scenario when calling xbox live, where it used to be hopefully you can talk to someone in the country, now it's well I hope I can talk to someone who isn't a jerk.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am interested to know this too Wizard.  I would like to get back to my online games.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wizard, they have let you back on Live?  Are you sure?  They told me in the first call that they were doing something that would block my purchases but allow me to play.  That lasted one day -- the day I called.  Since then, I am completely locked out and so is my entire family because my account is the primary account on the family plan.

Sorry this didn't help.

First, I contact Microsoft within 10 minutes of being hacked.  It was clear then that they knew there was a problem, as they recognized the hack immediately.  No one informed me on the first call that I would need to wait until the investigation was over to have my $125 of points charges and 1200 points refunded.  I assumed, given that it was obviously a hack that they recognized (and had a dedicated team working on) that I would be reimbursed immediately.  They also didn't tell me that they could allow me back on Xbox-Live while having my purchases blocked, which I got on the second call (and made me less irritated with the process).

No one asked about FIFA 12...and it's only after I found this thread that I looked at my profile and discovered it.  So now I know HOW they compromised me.  But Microsoft seems entirely unconcerned with this whole process and their aspect of making themselves unreachable is incredibly frustrating.  They won't contact you in any way for WEEKS?  What could they possibly glean from that length of time?  AND WHY DID THEY NOT WARN ME TO CHANGE MY EA ACCOUNT PASSWORD IF THEY KNOW THAT'S THE SOURCE OF THE HACK?!?

I have had my credit card number stolen in the past.  When it happened, Amazon reversed the charges immediately.  Why does it take Microsoft 30+ days?  So they can collect interest on MY MONEY?  Why would they not expedite this matter?  If it's been happening since May, why isn't it a priority?

I'm understanding of the issue, but I'm not happy with how they're handling it after the fact.  Microsoft generally has good support, which makes this doubly frustrating.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was hacked yesterday.  I received an email from MS informing me that I was the proud new owner of 10,000 MS points.  The total damage after it was said and done with was around $170.00 after taxes.  The lady I talked to over the telephone was pretty helpful and she actually acted like she cared.  After reading this thread I am totally on board with the EA account creation thing.  Not two days after I make an EA account for BF3 my account is compromised and what do you know... I "started playing FIFA".  I really hope this stuff gets taken care of.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was going to pickup battlefield and MW3 but I agree with Auburnlaw, if you dont start with the rest your going to take a beating online.

Sorry this didn't help.