I finished transfering files from old HD from a dead xbox to new xbox, what can I do with the old HD?

Using the transfer cable I transferred the profiles and saved games from my dead console to my new xbox and disposed of the old one xbox. What should I do now with the old HD? Someone suggested formatting it to FAT32 on the new xbox but the option to format was greyed out, so I did it on my PC but when I tried that the HD doesn' show up on my xbox anymore. I'd hate to stick it into a laptop since 20gb isn't a whole lot nowadays but it's perfect for the 16gb limitations of the xbox.

Do I need to make a 16gb FAT32 partition on the 20GB hd?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 32 Applies to:

My new xbox is the same as the old white one but it is black. It also has 120gb HDD so it's not terribly important to use the extra 16gb or so.

It's fine you don't love me, Earth still spins, Stars still explode, and somewhere in that mess I am

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

And how exactly did you format the hdd using your PC? By doing that you just ruined the drive for yourself or anyone else to use as that action violates the XBL Terms of Service and when detected could result in a console ban. When you use a transfer cable to move content from one hdd to another it essentially wipes the old hdd of all your content. So you see there was no need to format the hdd at all. 

Since you used a PC on the hdd you should just bin it and move on. It isn't worth the risk now. 

Sorry this didn't help.

Using the usb transfer cable.

At first it didn't show up but then I looked under the disk manager it was there.

I thought the transfer cable was legit?

I just wanted to use the drive to store files on but when playing games it doesn't show up as a device I can save to so I thought it needed to be formatted and since format wasn't available on the xbox I did it on the PC.

Oh well I have my data and I don't need the drive that badly. Does my xbox need to connect to the internet again? It's a pain to get it working, I have to route it through my computer and my computers wireless card doesn't always find internet connections, so even checking for replys to this message is dependant on if i have access or not, which is rare.

Thanks for the response. :D

It's fine you don't love me, Earth still spins, Stars still explode, and somewhere in that mess I am

Sorry this didn't help.