I don't want to get suspended again...

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some information on whether or not I will be suspended from Xbox Live again for posting something in my bio.

First a little background:  I currently attend the University of South Carolina where our mascot is a fighting roster also commonly known as a "Gamecock".  I have a feeling you know where this is going.

Well, back in 2010, I posted on my bio for Xbox Live for location USC and for bio that I am a Gamecock.

Of course, Microsoft being the all to happy to suspend people (and quite possibly completely oblivious to the term gamecock) was ready with a small 1 day suspension.

Of course this was merely a small annoyance for me then, and I had contacted the support team and they apologized for the error but still made me wait anyways for the 1 day suspension.

As this is my senior year now in college, I was planning on putting in my bio something along the lines of "Future Gamecock Graduate", but I fear a suspension will come from this (even though they already admitted error on this last time).

Does anyone know whether or not some automated system would have me suspended again? Or if I would be just fine?

I look forward to the responses.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 31 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

if you have already been suspended for it once why would you risk doing it again?

the second case would probably be longer than one day as well.

The thing is that "Gamecock" is not actually against the CoC.  

Gamecock is the legitimate mascot of my university, and I won't be risking it unless I know for a fact I won't be getting suspended.

It was rather funny at the time having the enforcement team fumble around not understanding that a gamecock is a legitimate animal though lol.

And I have serious pride in my university, which I would like to represent if I know I will be safe from suspension.

Yes, I can understand why you want to do this but why not just say it to people over the mic, put it onto your bio aswell if you like.  You will only get banned if you get reported so if everyone you play with knows what it is then you might not get reported.  The thing is, what's suitable for a group of people who go to University, who are adults, isn't suitable for children so your argument about 'it's used so can be used' is flawed.  We all know people have *** at University and that mascot represents coming to sexual potency and understanding of human nature although it's sexist and outdated.

As a general rule, if you have to ask if it's a violation, then it's not a good idea. It's just an XBL Bio, you're better off not tempting fate and either putting something you know is allowed, or simply leaving it blank. The risk/reward in this situation simply makes it not worth while. The potential negatives greatly outweigh any benefit.

If you were to risk it, I would suggest putting a description on what a gamecock is.

If you got suspended for it the first don't put it again even if the word is harmless.  

Previously known as Win7Xbox 360

[quote user="AkRocker007"]The thing is that "Gamecock" is not actually against the CoC.[/quote]This is the defense used by most people who are trying to skirt the Terms of Use.

What is not offensive to you is offensive to others. Because your university's mascot has a name chosen before slang made it offensive does not matter.

It's MS's sandbox. They told you it's offensive.

P.S. In case you've gotten this far in college without learning this simple rule: life isn't fair.

If Microsoft Support Team have apologised then there shouldnt be a problem to write it again. The word gamecock isnt against any terms or conditions, in fact the word *** shouldnt be if used appropriately.

Ive moved up North of UK 2 years ago and people say alright *** instead of mate. So it doesnt have to be offensive.

Truth is, you probably shot someone online a few too many times and they had an immature mood and decided to report your bio. The filter saw the word *** and went red alert.

But on a serious professional level, you havent done anything wrong or broken any rules.

And even my post is censored. I feel sorry for future generations that grow up in this insanely Political Correct world.

It did it for me when I was informed you cant call train controller from Thomas The Tank Engine, The fat Controller anymore. He shouldnt be discriminated against for being a bigger than average size, so now the correct term is Sir Top'am Hat?!

Its a plastic figure stood by a traintrack. Talk about ruining things for the kids. Stupid.

According to the Code of Conduct

B. Don’t

Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by. This includes, without limitation, anything related to or suggestive of: profane words/phrases, topics or content of a sexual nature, hate speech (including but not limited to racial, ethnic, or religious slurs), illegal drugs/controlled substances, or illegal activities.

The name of your school mascot would fall under this category and would result in your account being suspended again.

Be aware that each successive suspension is for a longer duration that the last until eventually your tag is perma banned by the PET members.

@DADDY - just because support apologizes for someone getting suspended doesn't make it alright for them to do the same thing again.  They are support only and not enforcement.  As such they have no power of why/when someone gets suspended/banned or for what reason.